Red Lion G308

pauly

We are using the G308 with Controlligix and I have noticed that if there is a tag or tags in the G3 tag data base and no corresponding tag in the PLC then none of the screens’ information will display correctly. Is there a way of finding which tag is missing in the G308 or ensuring the tags which do correspond are displayed?

I've had that happen too. It sucks. All I could do is delete 1/2 of all items at a time and see if the trouble went away, to find the bad tag.

I wonder what would happen if you are connected to two of more plcs and one when down. Would you lose all screens that had both plc tags on them ?

Nope. The problem comes from the way the items are blocked together internally. If one tag in the block fails, it knocks the PLC off scan. It won't screw up other PLCs, though. I'll make sure this is on the wish list. It is indeed a pain sometimes.

Hi,

You should maybe consider Beijer Electronic's EXTER-series. Their AB Logix-driver supports both global and local program tags (and arrays, structures and structures within structures) and maybe most importantly shows a "No tag: xxx" when polling for a device that does not exist in the PLC.
www.beijerelectronics.com

//Supporter

Given that this seems to be an annoyance for quite a few customers, I've had one of our engineers dig into it over the last couple of days, and it looks like we have a fix ready for testing.

Pauly, if you could PM me, I'll put you in touch with someone who can get you an updated driver that ought to address your problem. We'll want to get hold of a copy of your configuration first so we can test it here to be sure that we've got it right, but we ought to have you up and running in a day or so.

Let me close by saying that we're sorry that we missed something like this the first time around, but driver testing doesn't always cover all the real-world cases. That's where we rely on feedback from customers, and of course plcs.net is a great forum for getting just that kind of information.

Mike,

I have never used a Red Lion HMI since our group seems to like the AB products which is fine but I would like to say thank you for all your support on this site.

Bob O

We haven't heard from the original poster on this, but I thought I'd let anyone else who has had a similar problem know that we now have a fix tested and availabe. Please PM me if you'd like to be updated with the new code.

G308 driver

First of all thanks for the reply, what other company would be so prompt in offering assistance like this?? I have mailed a config to you and await a reply.
Cheers

What about having a search within C2 to find any tags that are not in its target controller ? Would help with debugging large G3 apps.

What about having a search within C2 to find any tags that are not in its target controller ? Would help with debugging large G3 apps.
Good idea dave - Been caught out myself many times with this! o_O

Is any kind of tag organization/grouping coming soon? That is certainly my #1 gripe... on large projects, one huge list of tags is just very difficult to manage.