Red Lion G308 to CompactLogix issues

I thought about that so I wrote a very simple program with only about 10 inputs and 5 outputs. Got the same results.
The problem is definantly a issue with Crimson not dealing with the Alias tags properly.

What's the scope of your alias tags? What are they aliases for? I have a Crimson project that looks at a LOT of alias tags without issue. They are controller-scoped tags aliased to physical I/O. We're running build 530.003.

That is how I have my tags set up. They are controller tags and they are Aliasing physical I/O.

Joseph,
I will attach the simple RSL5K program and the simple Crimson Database. If you would take a look at them and maybe compare them against what you are doing I would be very grateful!! I just cant figure this out and Red Lion is trying to help but I get the feeling that they think I am on drugs :)

Thanks!!

Here is what I got from Red Lion Tech Support today:

"I talked to some one else where and apparently this is a known issue with I/O specifically. Apparently we will only work with I/O tags the driver knows about. So aliasing I/O we already know about will work fine but some types the driver doesn't know about (AB keeps adding more). In those situations which is what you are going though you need to create tags in the AB and link those tags to the proper I/O for us to understand them. So for now this is going to be the solution until the time comes when we decide to put out a new l5k driver which I doubt is any time soon since we just released one about 2 months ago."

So I guess I will need to map the I/O in the PLC for the time being.

Joseph,
What PLC model are you guys using?

CompactLogix L30ER/L33ER, and ControlLogix L55/L61 are what we have talking to Red Lion HMIs. All I've done is create a PLC tag (called, e.g., I01) that's just an alias for Local:1:I.Data (sp?). The HMI reads it fine. I don't think I was able to point a Crimson tag directly to actual built-in "Local" tags in RSLogix, which is the only reason I created these particular L5k alias tags in the first place.

I thought about that so I wrote a very simple program with only about 10 inputs and 5 outputs. Got the same results.
The problem is definantly a issue with Crimson not dealing with the Alias tags properly.

I never dealt with alias tags. Due to paranioa (prior experience with other packages) I stripped my Logix5k program to the bone before eporting to L5K, shielding hte tag database of the HMI from "fluff" it didin't need to know about, and I used only a handful of arrays of simple data types for the interface to the PLC. I did use one vendor supplied UDT, but it was super handy so I couldn't resist. I had to set up quite an elaborate queuing system to keep the elements of each record aligned since I was getting information from a scale and scanners at different times with some variability via a SLC 5/04 behind a Digi One IAP (ehternet bottlnecked to 19.2k baud). It logs only 6 elements, one of them a string, at a rate of about every 3 seconds, but I built it with rolling queues at both ends so it could tolerate unplugging the etherent, for example, for several hours, and then recover without loss of data. Elaborate, maybe for a K.I.S.S. kinda guy, but very practical. I continuously had trouble with my home made log files getting corrupted, so I eventually figured out how to do what I want with a triggered snapshot and just live with their file naming conventions and it is as bulletproof as possible for a remote device, no losses or failures for over 3 years.

Last edited: