90° Cable Exit Direction....

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Since it's a holiday weekend, I don't expect much help from A-D. I'm hoping someone here has one of these laying around...

l_c18pap2e.jpg

It's C18 series quick-disconnect right-angle lensed photoelectric sensor from Automation Direct. I have an appication for one, but I'm trying to figure out how the connector's keying notch is oriented, in relation to the rest of the sensor. IOW, what direction will a 90° QD cable exit when plugged in? And don't say "at a 90° angle"... :rolleyes:

To avoid confusion, use the above picture for reference. If you held the sensor like that, with the connector end pointed away from you, the sensitivity adjustment facing north, and the lens facing west, which direction would the cable point?

For those who get lost easily, here's a compass for reference... :D

compass.gif

beerchug

-Eric

I dont have one

Ok I may be wrong but if you go by the manual what you are showing is what I call "natural position".....ie the best position to access the led's or sensitivy screws. If you look at the manual it shows it in the same position on display and the M12 connector with the notch at the bottom. Using this info I think the connector will point down or in this case SOUTH. I am sure you have the MANUAL.

I may be wrong but I have found in most cases this works when dealing with sensors and quick disconnect cables.

What you say makes semse Ron, but it's nice to have verification. I have gotten screwed by assuming manufacturers follow the 'common sense' rule. I've even seen some where the connector got potted in wherever it happened to land during assembly (i.e. random). I guess they figure everyone uses a straight cable?... :confused:

With jthornton's input, I think I can safely assume that these sensors DO follow the 'common sense' rule. Thanks jthornton!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric