Light for relay?

Greg Dake

Greetings,

I goofed; I accidentally bought cube relays for a project and didn't get coil indicating lights on them. I'd like to have the light, I never buy relays without lights (except this time). They are 120VAC coils. Has anyone added small coil indicating lights to relays? Does someone make lights just for this purpose? Thinking I can just parallel across the coil with a small LED type device?

TIA,

Greg

Hi Greg.

It might be simpler to just return the relays for what you really want. Even if you have to pay shipping and a restocking fee it will probably still cost less than kludging it, especially if you factor in the extra time to wire in the indicators.

Just my opinion. Its worth what you paid for it.

(edit to add)
By the way, for interface relays, I've used these relays http://www.turck-usa.com/Products/Relays/ in the past and I really liked using them. They have a lighting indicator, a mechanical indicator, and a mechanical operator. The mechanical operator has saved me from breaking out the laptop to force an output for diagnostics a number of times.

Last edited:
For 120VAC your best bet may be a small neon bulb across the coil. LEDs would require resistors.
Neon Lamps also require resistors.

I agree with Alaric, try to exchange them for the correct relays unless you want it to look like a kludge.

I will NEVER use relays with mechanical latches with PLCs. They are dangerous!!! Mechanical latch is operated - PLC does not know - is not turning the the relay on - crash machine!!!

I will NEVER use relays with mechanical latches with PLCs. They are dangerous!!! Mechanical latch is operated - PLC does not know - is not turning the the relay on - crash machine!!!

I agree with you, but I don't think they're talking about mechanical latches on the Turck relay. The relay has a button with which you can operate the relay manually instead of operating the coil electrically.

It is IMO a good thing.

Thats why idiots should not be in the control panels. 🍺

Forcing an output has the same potential for crashing a machine - and it usually takes longer to remove a force.

Thats why idiots should not be in the control panels. 🍺

Forcing an output has the same potential for crashing a machine - and it usually takes longer to remove a force.

Don't you think that might be a bit harsh? I'm not sure what were talking about here. I am not talking about a mechanical latch, but a mechanical operator.

I am not talking about a mechanical latch, but a mechanical operator.
My apologies -misunderstood.
I normally do not even use those. Still a potential for the uninvited to do some serious damage.

My apologies -misunderstood.
I normally do not even use those. Still a potential for the uninvited to do some serious damage.

mostly what I am involved with is troubleshooting, and IMHO every solenoid or relay should have an indicator light AND a mechanical operator.

Often I can figure out what is wrong in about 2 seconds. Without it... it's a whole bunch harder.:unsure:

Its a compromise. Manual operators on relays can make toubleshooting or working around a defective device very easy, quick and cost effective, but like Alaric said, idiots will still force the ball screw into the galled threads where the slip joint pliers have been...

I have been that idiot. Looking at one drive. and pressing the button for the one on the opposite side of the machine...

Certainly don't put relays with mechanical latches on anything that can kill people or cause great damage...

Back to the OP question, I remember using a surge protector on relay coils with a built-in LED but I can't seem to find a link...

Paul