ControlLogix

dave b

having created UDTs with description field filled in, anyone know of a way (easy) to create tags that will inherit those descriptions.

TIA

I'm not sure if you want to copy the UDT descriptions to individual tags or if you want to create tags that have the UDT structure. I'm going to assume to want to create instances of your UDT.
When you created your UDT you gave it some name. That name is now one of the ControlLogix data types. So create a tag name and in the data type field, hit the down arrow to expand the data type list ans select the UDT name. You then reference individual elements in your instance as:
<instance name>.<element name>

Hope this helps.
Keith

Dave

When you create an UDT with descriptors in CLGX those are for the UDT only. ie when you get to editing an UDT. They will not bleed into the Created Tag or elements of the created tag.

What you can do though is create a Controller Level Tag of the UDT Type you want, enter the individual descriptors for each of the elements.....

Now create Aliased Tags to the Controller Level Tag and the Descriptors will bleed through to the Aliased Tags, this is just to explain a certain behaviour. This may or may not be what you want...

Now if you want to create different tags of the same UDT, those are independant, but use the same structure, and you dont want to enter the descriptors "n" number of times. Copy the tag you created with the descriptors and paste it, the pasted tag name will have the number 1 suffixed to it. Rename the tag to what you want.

I hope this helps......

:oops: Sorry, I missed this post and replies.

kamenges : I think you missed the point, its the documentation (comment fields) I was referring to.

venkat2k : I understand your 'solution' OK.

However, consider the following :

Creat a UDT = "RECIPE" of, say, 50 elements (mixture of REALs, DINTs, TIMERS, etc., etc., then add comments to all the UDT elements, describing the 'ingredients' of the recipe, eg. units of quantity, supplier perhaps etc......

Now create the useful TAG = "RECIPE[100]"

Now tell me how the 5,000 UDT element descrptions get documented in the array.....

;) Anyway, guys, the solution is 'just around the corner'.

Version 13 of RSLogix5000 will have 'Pass-thru' documentation. This will allow a tag element to appear to have the same documentation as the UDT, but what is happening is that the UDT comments are passed forwards to the TAG elements for ladder and monitor display (and presumably for printing).

This will have the added advantage of not bloating the documentation database with identical entries for all the 'typed' tags, while still allowing for the individual tag element descriptions to be edited.

:( All that remains now is to get the opportunity to use Version 13 !!

regards,

dave b