PLC list

bleach

i want a plc list which include SIEMENS, Allen Bradly and GE main modules. in a way that each module will be with is compatible one of the other brand \
for example:
SIEMENS / GE / Allen Bradly /
S7-200 / nano / ............... / etc

thanks
:geek:

That would be an interesting list, if possible to make. I see some immediate problems. WHO is going to be the one to decide which modules are "compatible". They are all different, varying from slightly different to completely different. If they weren't, they would not be different brands, different models, with different specifications, and made by different companies.

You will find that the ones closest to some other brand are the ones made by one company (such as Koyo) and rebranded with different nameplates by a second company (GE, others).

ok take for example in SIEMENS "LOGO", isn't it similar to "pico controller" from Allen Bradly

REGARD

PLCs basically do the same thing, but as far as I know, different manufactures do not make their PLCs interchangeable with other PLC companies such as Allen Bradley and GE. An example of this is an Allen Bradley Slc500 where the program is stored in the processor. On the GE Fanuc 90-30 the program is stored in the rack. The input and output modules would not fit in each other’s racks because of design differences. If you wanted to have a list of what processors, racks and modules you needed for your application, it would have to be a separate list for each manufacture. What most companies do is find a PLC that is dependable for their application, cost effective, easily available within 24 hours or less along with good customer support. I hope this helps.

Sincerely:
Maintenance Man
(y)

What I think Bleach is after is like a comparison list of a fashion... ie Siemens LOGO! is a similar unit to the Moeller EASY and Mitsubishi Alpha. And the AB SLC500 similar to GE-90, Siemens S7-300 and Mitsubishi Q for example! I don't think a list of interchangable plcs or parts is desired. But who knows... :whistle:

Last edited:
Yes, but the problem is still "what is the definition of similar, or compatible"? One persons "simlar" PLCs might be totatally unusable to somebody else, who is looking at different parameters. For example, two PLC may be similar in that they have the same types of Inputs and Outputs, but they may have different Communications protocols. One person might say these two PLCs were similar enough to be in the same category, but another person who is dealing with network communications might say they were not similar.

So it seems such a list could only be loosely defined and would not be very useful in many cases. The only list that would be useful is one made for a particular situation, a specific plant or location that always uses certain types of equipment, uses certain communications protocols, and certain voltage supplies.

After all, a bunch of PLC manufacturers are working night and day to make sure that it is difficult, or impossible, to make such a list of direct comparisons!

On the GE Fanuc 90-30 the program is stored in the rack.
Just a quick correction, only the GE 90-30 baseplates with a built-in CPU store the program on the rack. There are plenty of CPU modules for the non-CPU baseplates that store the program on the CPU module.

bleach, you may be better off just asking the pros here specific questions on what PLCs are closely related. Or contact your local PLC sales rep - they are generally pretty good at knowing what manufactures produce and how they compare.