How to import a cutlist over network, to Do-More PLC, or to HMI

JasonO

Hello,

We are looking at a machine upgrade project, for which we will probably use a Do-More BRX PLC + 3 high speed I/O modules, to automate setup functions on an old truss saw.

Here's the part we're trying to figure out:
The customer would like to be able to import a cutlist of parts from the office over the network, and then select which part to setup the machine for. I don't yet have the details on how the cutlist is formatted, but I expect it's probably a CSV file. The list would include a row for each part needed for the truss, with the quantity required, and the dimensions. I've attached a picture of the paper cutlist that they work off currently.

For example:
Row 1: Part#,Length,Angle1,Angle2
Row 2: W1,6-4,45,45
Row 3: W2,4-3,36,54,
and so on

I think this could be done by the PLC, using FTP and FILE functions, but it seems like that will be quite cumbersome to set up, and inflexible to use.

What I'd really like would be a way for the machine operator to open a file selection dialog and choose the CSV file he wants. Obviously that would be an HMI function. And the C-More HMIs that I typically use won't be able to do that, as far as I know.

So I'm looking for recommendations. Is there another brand of HMI that would allow me to import recipes over the company network? (not in the design software, but from the actual HMI) Should I consider going to a PC/embedded solution like AVEVA Edge, or Ignition? If I can find a good solution, I will probably have more customers that will want to be able to send jobs from the office to the machine. This is just something I haven't done before, so I'm not sure which way to go with it.

Thanks!
~Jason

Cutlist1.jpg TrussSaw1.jpg