CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller and 1769-ASCII 2 Channel Module: Configuring Serial

JWRem

Hello,

I am attempting to use the 1769-ASCII 2 Channel Module with a CompactLogix 1768-L43 Controller to connect to two AccuRange AR 700 lasers, with one laser connected to each channel of the module. The serial port of the controller is connected to the host computer. However, I seem to be unable to have the module's ports be recognized in the RSLogix 5000 program. For example, if I use an 'AWT' instruction to Channel 1, I recieve an error code which indicates that the port does not exist. I am confident that the module has been mounted correctly, and the module has been configured to match the laser specifications. Is there some other option which I am missing?

Thank you,
JWRem

I actually found the solution. The 'ASCII' commands like ARL, AWL, etc only apply for the serial port on the controller. To use the module's serial ports, you need to mess around with the various bits within the controller tags.

See the example in the manual 'Compact I/O Ascii Module'

The 1769-ASCII module does not provide additional User Mode ports for use with the ASCII recieve/transmit instructions in the CompactLogix (AWT, AWA, ARD, ACB, etc).

Instead, data is received and transmitted by the module using the I/O tags that are defined when you configure the module in the I/O tree of the CompactLogix.

One of the example projects that gets installed with RSLogix 5000 is called "Example for 1769 ASCII Module.ACD". It should be a good supplement to the User Manual for getting started with this module.