New CompactLogix 1768-L43

RedwingRazor

Good day all. I'm trying to create a new project with a 1668-L43 CompactLogix controller. When I try to create new, That controller is not in the list to select from. Not sure what to do to create it. Thanks in advance for your time

Hi there,

What version of RS5K/ Studio5000 are you using?

According to Rockwell download centre, the last version supported is V20.

Capture.PNG

collinsd70 is probably correct. You will need to have v20 or earlier of RSLogix5000 installed to be able to program a 1768 processor.

Can I ask why you're using that processor for a "new" project? That processor is quite outdated, and I can think of very few reasons to use one on a new project.

collinsd70, I'm not sure why we are using that processor. I was just told to program this little machine. But you can bet I'm gonna ask why. LOL

no worries.

are you sure you have the correct processor part number here?

as "ASF" mentioned; it is surprising if you were supplied this processor to work with as it is officially discontinued.

There isn't anything wrong with that controller. It's just older and has been replaced by newer hardware.

Because it is older, you will need to use older software. Your Studio 5000 version 31 won't work with it. RSLogix 5000 version 20 was mentioned, but you must use the version that matches the firmware version of your controller. If your controller has firmware version 19.xx, then you require RSLogix version 19.xx. Version 20 wouldn't help you there. The good news is that the firmware can be updated. So, you could update your controller to the newest possible version 20 and then use RSLogix 5000 version 20 software. If you can browse to the device in RSLinx you can verify its version.

The reason we are concerned with using that controller is in part, getting spares would be difficult since it is discontinued. That controller series was not extensively used, so the third-party market for spares probably isn't overflowing with available parts.

But like I said, there isn't anything wrong with those controllers. Most likely it was gathering dust on a shelf, and someone decided to put it to use.

OG