Controllogix

rigicon

Hi, everyone. thanks for the help so far. I have almost completed my project. I do thing Allen Bradley is easier than siemens so far.
I have a programming question for the forum.
I want a flip flop. one button press is on, same button press again is off and repeat. Use to do it in the siemens with a rotate register command and pre load it with alternating bits 101010... It worked great as it was an endless roll. Only one line.

How to do the same in Rs 5000???
I can't seem to find rotate register left or right.:confused:

Search the forum for flip flop. This has been discussed ad nauseum and there are a bazillion threads that are dozens of pages long showing a gazillion different ways to do it.
🍺

As you'll see from a search, everyone has their opinions about the right way to do one, some who will passionately argue about how to do it. I have two preferences:

1) XIC BUTTON ONS Oneshots.0 OTE TAGA
BST XIC TAGA NXB XIC TAGB BND BST XIO TAGA NXB XIO TAGB BND OTE TAGB

2) Use a counter. The Counter.ACC.0 bit toggles state each time the counter upcounts. Forget about the DN and the PRE, let it count and roll over forever.

Method 1 is non-retentive. Method 2 is retentive.

Also, since you are using the CLX, if you wan to use the FB language there is a flip flop instruction built in. Or you can write an AOI for one.

Last edited:
A counter good idea.
So is there no rotate shift register command in AB?
Other question a simple 0.5sec duty timer normally special timers or do I have to use 2 timers the last reseting the first??
Thanks for the quick replies.

You can create a free running timer by placing a timer on an unconditional rung.

Timer.ACC.0 has a 2 ms period, (1ms on, 1 off)
Timer.ACC.1 has a 4 ms period
Timer.ACC.2 has an 8 ms period
Timer.ACC.3 has a 16 ms period
Timer.ACC.8 has a 512 ms period (256ms On, 256 ms OFF)
Timer.ACC.9 has a 1024 ms period (512ms On, 512 ms OFF)

In creating a free running timer I make the preset 2147483647 and I unconditionally unlatch Timer.ACC.30 so that the timer can never overflow and it can never reach its preset.

If you want exactly .5 seconds you can create a task with a .5 sec period or you can use two timers or just one timer and a comparrison on the ACC.

eg - a 1/4 sec on 1/4 sec off flasher:
XIO Timer.DN TON Timer 500 0
LES Timer.ACC 250 OTE Flasher

Last edited:
Thanks Alaric both the flip flop and flasher are now encoded and working great. As I said before I know siemens well but a novice on AB. Finding my way slowly. Thanks to the forum.
Still waiting for factorytalk view ME wish I could download it. It's so expensive eating into the profits of the job. I have panelbuilder32 but its no good for panelview 600 plus. I'll try get the customer to pay for it.