Block Transfer Help. I'm in Dire Straits

The Plc Kid

Help

I am trying to setup some additional blcok transfer info from my slc 5/04 plc to my panelview 1000.

I just upgraded the firmware in the slc 5/04 to handle the block transfer instruction but i am having trouble trying to tie it in with the old block transfer method that is alrady there.

From my understanding i need these so no 2 can execute at the same time or in the same scan?

It would be ideal to set them all up on the new btw/btr instrucion but i need help figuring out this old method as i can't seem to understand how the timing is working?

I need to add 1 btw and 1 btr both with a length of 60 to give me some expansion. There are 2 rads and 2 writes already setup

The logic in question is ladder 24 and 25 of the attached file 24 is for i/o and 25 is to the panelview.

I am trying to add more screens and data to the panelview.

Can someone give this a look and point me in the right direction.I have got to do this before tommorrow and i have been pandering through it for the last 2 hrs with no success so i figured it was time to ask for help.

The file is an rss file but i changed the extension to .pdf to upload.
\
Thanks

Just changing the extension doesn't make it a pdf file. There are free programs that let you create pdf files. Get one of these and print your project and choose the pdf printer. I've used PrimoPDF.

The forum will not upload .rss files directly.

My intent was not to change it to a .pdf file i just changed the extension to get it to upload.

I would have like to attached it as a real pdf file in addition to the .rss file but this laptop which has logix is loced downby IT and i can not install a pdf printer on it so i am kinda stuck to that degree for the moment.

- click on his "pdf" link.
but dont open it, save it (somewhere).
- Then rename extension from pdf to rss
- and open with RSLOgix500.

I would but dont have rslogix on this computer.

Got the program to open, but not too good with BT'S
Maybe someone else can give you a hand.
Here are the lad in pdf

Last edited:
This is a very busy RIO network. Of the 32 buffers available in the 1747-SN/B module, 16 of them are in use by Program File 24.

This looks like it was a generic framework program. It uses a timer (T12:27) to increment a counter (C5:2) every 50 milliseconds. Every time the counter increases, the program fires off a set of block transfers (a BTR and a BTW) to a new RIO address Group number.

I'm not sure I understand how the timeout and retry logic is supposed to work, if the sequencer just hurries up and goes on to the next pair of transactions every 50 milliseconds.

I would leave the File 24 logic alone and build your own logic in File 25 using the BTR and BTW instructions. It looks like the previous logic is just running one Read and one Write at a time. I'd have to get out the user manual to determine how many BT commands the module can handle simultaneously.

Thanks for posting the PDF listing.
(what a community effort).

Have reviewd LAD 24 & 25 program files.
My first observation is that I dont see any Block Transfer instructions. I see COPy of internal integers to/from M0 and M1 files. The comments use the terms "block transfer", but I dont see actaull BTR and BTW instructions.

So I think there are different possibilitys here.
Either:
- I am missing something here.
- possibley should be looking at other LAD files.
- comm to panelview is acually done with these COPy to/from the M0 and M1 files.

Ken

I just need to add one btw and one btr. Can i just put these in below the other logic in lad 25 or do i need some kind of interlocking?

Also i have examples for directional,continious directional,directional repaeating,bi directional continious,bi directional alternating and bi directional repeating, Which one do i need? I have noot been able to find a good definition of how each one works.

This will be going to a panelview to display drive speed and amps which is already mapped into the plc and resides in some integer files so i would think thaat i need continious bi directional?

Not sure on how the alternating would come into play.

Would it be better for me to put this in a ladder 28 as 27 is my last current ladder?

Would this help the timing by being in the last ladder?

Davev

The logic is done that way because this was a slc 5/04 series b processor which does not support the BTW / BTR instructions.

I had to flash the processor to series c to get this functionality.

The processor has already been flashed but the old way will work the way it always did and my new stuff will be on block transfer instructions.

At some point, you may want to re-examine converting all of the old logic to the newly available instructions, but for now I would do as Ken Roach suggested.

I have always tried to interlock RIO transfers destined for the same rack/group. It may not always be necessary.

Also, check to ensure you don't overlap buffer space with the old logic. I am sitting on the creek sippin a bud light, so I have no access to resources, but you can do it, Duffy Moon!

Pieace!