Whats missing from this RIO block transfer to/from PV1200

arpus4KM

Lifetime Supporting Member
so after a previous thread about the panelview 1200. I figured everything out that I needed to get working with it.

I've got the RIO discrete inputs working from the PV to the PLC5. but now the block transfers are not working, so I can't get any of the N135:0 - N135:31 words to the PV for our viewing pleasure.

Screenshots of the setups attached.

BlockXfers.PNG

Scanner_Config.PNG

rack_address.PNG

PV_Data.JPG

I'm not getting any error with the block transfers in the PLC5. but I'm not getting any data back to the panelview.

Currently the Remote I/O inputs work fine, and no comm errors on the PV.

What am I missing?

Well, that's some thoroughly archaic stuff. You're putting a PanelView 1200 Classic back into service, on purpose ? :)

Even though you aren't getting errors on the BTR/BTW instructions, check the block transfer control blocks for conflicts. When you use a chunk of an N-file instead of structured BT-file elements, the control block is 5 words long. So your BTW uses N130:15-19, and your BTR uses N130:40-44.

A PanelView can emulate multiple "racks" of RIO memory, in 1/4 Rack increments. But it's weird to start at Rack 6 in the last quarter.

I suppose it's not impossible: the PLC-5 Scanlist appears to match match the configuration in the PanelView. I just don't see why you wouldn't use Rack 6 and Rack 7, both Full Racks for the discrete I/O, and then address your block transfers to use the higher group numbers.

The "Last Chassis" checkboxes are probably both OK. In my opinion it should be labeled "last Adapter", because it indicates that the PLC-5 Scanner channel doesn't need to scan the network for another physical adapter in that logical Rack. An example would be two 4-module 1794-ASB FLEX assemblies both set up as 1/2 Rack each... only the 2nd one would be designated as "Last [physical] Chassis [in this logical Rack]"

In the PanelView program, it doesn't care what R/G/S or what N-file the data came from or is going to in the PLC. To the PanelView, block transfer data is just an undifferentiated "File" of data tofu, numbered in your case File 1 and File 2.

PanelView RIO is an unusually low-level look at Universal RIO because you have to think about the parts of the discrete image that are used by the Block Transfers. Most ordinary block transfer devices like analog modules don't use the discrete I/O at all, so you just point your BT's at the actual Rack/Group/Slot location and they take over the bytes they need.

I think that you can actually send two Block Transfer Writes, and two Block Transfer Reads, to each "Group". They would be differentiated by the Slot number: low-byte is Slot 0, high-byte is Slot 1.

So you should have both Input and Output data in what the PanelView thinks of as "File 1", of 32 Words each.

If you want to use File 2, you will set up another pair of BTR and BTW instructions, addressed to Rack 7, Group 7, Slot 1.

I cannot remember for certain if the PanelView's terminology of "Input" and "Output" is from the perspective of the PLC or the perspective of the PanelView terminal.

I think that a Numeric Data Display would be "Output" data that is written to the PanelView with a Block Transfer Write.

ANY OF THIS COULD BE WRONG: this was second-nature to me 15 years ago, but I simply haven't used a PanelView 1200 or 1400e since I closed the door on the demo closet at the RA office in the spring of 2011.

Well, that's some thoroughly archaic stuff. You're putting a PanelView 1200 Classic back into service, on purpose ? :)

I actually kind of like seeing old systems that have ran for 30 years and only need a swift kick to keep going. The company already purchased a replacement off ebay and had the unfortunate problem that the CRT died and took the program with it. I'm recreating the portions they used so they can get it running without purchasing even more expensive equipment or retrofitting and upgrading. the PV1200 apparently cost them barely anything.

Even though you aren't getting errors on the BTR/BTW instructions, check the block transfer control blocks for conflicts. When you use a chunk of an N-file instead of structured BT-file elements, the control block is 5 words long. So your BTW uses N130:15-19, and your BTR uses N130:40-44.

The program itself wasn't written by me, it was existing already. so that should be set and ready to go as is. and there are actually a bunch more BTR taking up the rest of the control blocks that are in order, by 5s. I believe they go from N135:0-N135:59 or somewhere around there (not sitting in front of the work laptop at the moment), but they were already in and working. with the previous PV

A PanelView can emulate multiple "racks" of RIO memory, in 1/4 Rack increments. But it's weird to start at Rack 6 in the last quarter.

that 1/4 in rack 6 is filled with extraneous Discrete Inputs, rack 7 group 0,1,2,3 are all Discrete IO coming in. and they used 4-7 for the Block transfers (Majory of block transfers were for Job recall, this isn't going to be used anymore, but the block transfers are still there, I'm just not adding them to the PV)

I suppose it's not impossible: the PLC-5 Scanlist appears to match match the configuration in the PanelView. I just don't see why you wouldn't use Rack 6 and Rack 7, both Full Racks for the discrete I/O, and then address your block transfers to use the higher group numbers.

The "Last Chassis" checkboxes are probably both OK. In my opinion it should be labeled "last Adapter", because it indicates that the PLC-5 Scanner channel doesn't need to scan the network for another physical adapter in that logical Rack. An example would be two 4-module 1794-ASB FLEX assemblies both set up as 1/2 Rack each... only the 2nd one would be designated as "Last [physical] Chassis [in this logical Rack]"

This is the only remote I/O in the system. although some things don't really match up for me visually, as they don't have any actual Input or output cards in the racks that I can see in the program, but this just feels like a lack of knowledge on my part as to how it can be configured. This was taken from a running system that only had the PV fail

In the PanelView program, it doesn't care what R/G/S or what N-file the data came from or is going to in the PLC. To the PanelView, block transfer data is just an undifferentiated "File" of data tofu, numbered in your case File 1 and File 2.

PanelView RIO is an unusually low-level look at Universal RIO because you have to think about the parts of the discrete image that are used by the Block Transfers. Most ordinary block transfer devices like analog modules don't use the discrete I/O at all, so you just point your BT's at the actual Rack/Group/Slot location and they take over the bytes they need.

There are two analog input cards with block transfers further up

I think that you can actually send two Block Transfer Writes, and two Block Transfer Reads, to each "Group". They would be differentiated by the Slot number: low-byte is Slot 0, high-byte is Slot 1.

So you should have both Input and Output data in what the PanelView thinks of as "File 1", of 32 Words each.

That is what my assumption was based on the description left by the original programmer, and that the N file 135 is only 32 words long. so it had me wondering whether or not I needed to use Rack 7-Group 7- Low byte only, or needed both. Neither configuration gave me any block transfer info into the PV display (while the Discrete still worked fine)

If you want to use File 2, you will set up another pair of BTR and BTW instructions, addressed to Rack 7, Group 7, Slot 1.

Makes sense, so with the first BTR/BTW I would only need to use Low byte to get to slot 0 (or module 0 as its shown in the BTR/BTW)

I cannot remember for certain if the PanelView's terminology of "Input" and "Output" is from the perspective of the PLC or the perspective of the PanelView terminal.

Panelview Input addressing goes to the PLC Input addressing. Panelview Output addressing reads the output in the PLC of that RIO Bit. (I've got some Indicators that use the complimentary Output from the Input to show status)

I think that a Numeric Data Display would be "Output" data that is written to the PanelView with a Block Transfer Write.

This is actually a really good idea, I thought I had tried that but I may have been messing with multiple other parts of the configuration instead of following the "1 change at a time" rule... after all, if it wasn't yielding results then you'll end up changing other things as well right.

ANY OF THIS COULD BE WRONG: this was second-nature to me 15 years ago, but I simply haven't used a PanelView 1200 or 1400e since I closed the door on the demo closet at the RA office in the spring of 2011.

I always appreciate the input. I had called RA support to get a better grasp of it, and of course this stuff is so old that they have it on the no longer supported list, not even a Legacy contract will get you anything. It was kind of funny to hear from the guy on the phone that he had been with rockwell for 18 years and a lot of the guys that knew these things retired in the last 5 years or so, which is partly why it went to no longer support status.

You may have been why they killed support for this line when you left! 🍺

Update..

Yeah, I feel dumb. I definitely tried the Correct orientation of input/output block transfers with the wrong configuration.

Set it all up again and made sure that anything coming from the PLC (Numeric display) was an output. And it's there and working like it was supposed to ;)

Thanks for the headsup, once you mentioned the IO orientation I realized where the mistake was probably sitting at.

Remembering which perspective data is being represented from is a challenge with all sorts of devices and products and vendors. I have to look it up and remind myself every time I use a DataLink in a drive, or a flat file based device like a Prosoft MCM.

Thanks for the followup !