Whats a good choice for UPS ?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have to put 3 UPS's into outdoor cabs. I thought of going with the ones that are used on Traffic lights and such but that is such overkill for the low watage needs of an RTU.

I have used APC Smart for a long time but I am finding in the last several years that the commercial grade ones are complete **** now. Even when in a better environment than an outdoor cabinet they die without warning and when they fail they fail open. Warranty replacements (Schneider now BTW) have also died well within their warranty and I've had enough of that.

Any suggestions for a reliable device I can start using?

I have bought CyberPower exclusively after getting screwed by APC.

Bought a nice APC, and less then 28 days later it started beeping to replace the battery - with no power failures during that time to need the UPS power from the battery.

The customer service guy at APC saw no problem with replacing the battery every 27 days, and told me to just buy a new battery for it. I threw that thing in the trash and bought a CyberPower that I have not had to replace the battery in for over 5 years now, and have had major power failures that drained it to shut-down more than once when I wasn't around to shut the computer down.

I have 4 CyberPower's of my own on 3 computers and a home automation SLC PLC, and have put them in control panels I have built.

Is the RTU directly AC powered? If it's run from DC then I'd just put in a DC UPS. Phonetix Contact make some, as do Wieland.

I find AC UPS failures much more common than for DC. I do not put a UPS in now days unless there's an automatic transfer switch to supply mains if the UPS dies. Generally it seems to happens when there's mains available!

+1 on Eaton. We have used the Eaton PowerWare 9130 1000 VA units for mission critical applications. We run these in a piece of mobile equipment that is PLC controlled, has a big diesel generator and a bunch of refrigeration gear, so it is hot inside, with a lot of vibration. These have handled it nicely. They include communications options so you can monitor them from your control system. Plus, you can get a 5 year Advanced Exchange Warranty for peace of mind.

Last edited:
I am looking at Falcon right now, they have 55c temp range . Pricey though.

I have used a few Falcon UPS units. They are pretty nice....but yes....expensive.
My only complaint is the Falcon comes with a manual on/off switch.

The APC comes with an electronic button for power.

I control my UPS by remotely turning it on and off with control power switch. The APC has this ability for remote on/off control (Do not want someone to have to open the control cabinet to switch it on and off).
I use the "Smart-UPS On-Line" version of the APC, not just the "Smart-UPS" version.