Can this be done?

junior

I have a ML1400 connected to my pc via port 0 which is setup as DF-1. The connection cable is a 1761-cbl-pm02 and it's connected to my laptops serial port.

I'm curious if it's possible to use hyperterminal (or other similar software) to send serial codes to the ML1400 so I can send over 3 integers into registers N7:0, N7:1, & N7:2. If this is possible, where or how would I start?

To do what you are asking, forget DF1... you need to configure the PLC's serial port for ASCII. Set the communications parameters (baud rate, etc) to match those in Hyperterminal. Also, make sure that RSLinx is shut down, or switched to a different com port. The problem with this setup is that you won't be able to be online with the PLC in RSLogix, or even download a program, unless you have two serial ports on both the PLC and the PC.

Once your comms are set up correctly, you should be able to send ASCII commands through Hyperterminal and receive them on the PLC. You'll need to make use of the ASCII instructions in RSLogix to receive the string data and convert it back to integers.

I personally haven't tried this setup but I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are others here who have more experience in this area and could provide further help.

The problem with this setup is that you won't be able to be online with the PLC in RSLogix, or even download a program, unless you have two serial ports on both the PLC and the PC.

Fortunately for the OP the ML1400 also has a ethernet port to go along with the serial port. So once the serial port is configured for ASCII then just use the ethernet port for programming chords or what ever else (HMI,SCADA...)