Rslinks through the internet

rigicon

Hi all, A question for the forum? I have a controllogix and a 600 panelview. I connect using my laptop with static ip address
169.254.63.190 for PLC & 169.254.63.198 for PV these are connected to a router my laptop is 169.254.63.199. This setup works locally perfectly.

I now want to check the machine from a remote location is a modem a good idea or can one do it through the internet somehow with all those isp address changes etc.:confused:

You can do it through the internet. I'm guessing those IP addresses are the local IPs (LAN) that the plant has assigned as part of their corporate network? Does the corporate network have VPN access? If so, you'll just need them to set you up with a VPN client so that you can connect to their network via the internet.

On the otherhand, if this is just a router connected directly to the internet, then you could do it by obtaining the WAN IP address of the router, setting up port forwarding for linx and tunnelling in that way.

To really answer your question, you're going to need more information on how the network is set up.

Are you doing this at home?

If you are at a customers or your work... do you have a local network setup? if yes you should ask your IT person on what they use to dial in, there are several different ways that it can be done

Here is a little more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Before I parted ways with my former employer... I did this all the time, this was also before I got satellite... as it will not work

On the otherhand, if this is just a router connected directly to the internet, then you could do it by obtaining the WAN IP address of the router, setting up port forwarding for linx and tunnelling in that way.
This is what I had in mind but how to port fwd and tunnel ?

I have an old nokia mobile with a serial cable at the moment was going use a fixed modem. Seemed quick for now just to help them if the machine is naughty.
The ethernet way is the way to go though. The router is connected straight to the internet. I assigned those IP addresses actually made them up really.

Here's a thread on setting up VPN for linx, but alot of the port forwarding info applies for direct router connection:

http://forums.mrplc.com/lofiversion/index.php/t7138.html

Do a search on RSLinx and Internet and you'll probably get plenty of setup info. Basically, you'll need the WAN IP (what the ISP assigns to your router). Hopefully this is semi-static (even leased IPs by ISPs often do not change for a long period of time). If the ISP is always changing the leased IP address to your router, then you'll have to setup a means to resolve the everchanging IP address to something you can use. There are many DNS services for doing this.

If all this sounds like gobbly gook and you only anticipate connecting infrequently, go with the modem.