1768-L43 upgrade failed

Switek

Hi.
Communication was broken during firmware upgrade - result: CPU is not seen by RSLinx trought ETH or RS232. Is there any way to recover from that apart of sending CPU back to Rockwell?
I have no access to the ControlFlash log, so even do know what was the issue.

I found, that the end cap was not connected on the processor.

I would be greatefull for any hints.

Regards
Switek

Last edited:
From what I understand you now have a very expensive paper weight. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to recover from this state without sending the device back to Rockwell.

Keith

I do not know what happened but that happened to me months ago, but in my case i just turn off and on my plc and it was as before. My plc was a 1769-L32E.

The power on/off cycle didn't help.

I had similar problem with the firmware months ago on the PanelView+. In that case I recovered firmware from the compactflash memory. Does anyone know if that works for CPU's? Unfortuneatly, I can't try it myself till Monday, so I would be greatefull if someone advice me if I will waste the time or that can work.

From what I understand you now have a very expensive paper weight. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to recover from this state without sending the device back to Rockwell.

Keith

I said the same to my colleage who was upgrading it, but it's an engineers nature to try to find other solution.

Regards
Pawel

It might be possible to plug in a compactflash module to flash the firmware. If you have another of the same type of cpu, plug in the flash card and save the program in that PLC to the flash card. Then plug that card into the failed unit.

I've had that work and I have had a true brick were it did not work.

good luck!

OG