Max number of timers on ML1100?

timbo_uk

Can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the number of timers that can be used in an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 PLC?

I am trying to find the information, but not had any luck yet!

Thanks

There are 2 limits. The number of data files you can create X 256 timers in each. I doubt of you will reach this limit as you will run out of memory (the other limit) so therefore the limit of timers will depends on how many other data words are used . ie in integer files etc

Regards Alan Case

Thanks Alan, I had just found this in the programming manual(http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1763-rm001_-en-p.pdf):

Timers in a controller reside in a timer file. A timer file can be assigned as
any unused data file. When a data file is used as a timer file, each timer
element within the file has three sub-elements.

You have just virtually confirmed what I have now suspected, I have 4k words for program and 4k words for data. So I could use the normal T4:0 to T4:255, then if I need more I could create an new memory file for the next round (eg T10:0 to T10:255)?

Cheers for the fast reply (y)

Correct.
Even if you don't use the timers then the memory is counted.
Aslo I think if you put in a file 100 ie T100 then a small amount of memory is used to reserve space between the last used file ie T10 and the last file T100.
Regards Alan

More on what Alan mentioned.

Note that no ladder instructions are added to the program for this example.

I have an ML1100 program that uses 865 instruction words and 702 data words. It contains user data files 3 through 13.

Now I add file 14, configure it for integer, and give it a single element. After program verification, I see that I have used 703 data words as expected, but the addition of the file also used two instruction words, so now I have 867 instruction words.

If instead of designating the new single element integer file as file 14, I decide to skip one file and make it file 15. I will use three instruction words (868) and one data word (703).

If I decide I want the new file to be N100, then after program verification I will have used 974 instruction words while the data table words used is still 703. Skipping to N100 costs an extra 107 words.

And if I make the new file N255 instead, then I will use 1168 instruction words, and still only 703 data table words.

Most of the time you probably won't care and grouping the files by function can make a program more readable, for example, zone 1 might use files B13, T14, C15, N17, and zone 2 will use B23, T24, C25, N27, etc. But if you ever do run into a situation where you are running low on memory then making the files sequential can recover some much needed instruction words.