PV 550 Firmware Upgrade

naegely

I have a standard PV550 2711-B5A2 that I need to upgrade the firmware on. I am connecting via a 1747-PIC. I can see the device in RSLinx. I remove the driver and shut down Linx as instructed, but I have no success with the firmware upgrade utility. It times out and says a reset was not detected, even though the power is cycled when prompted.

Has anyone had any success upgrading firmware via a 1747-PIC?

Thanks for any help,

Rob

I imagine your configuration goes like this:

PanelView 550 "RJ45" jack -> "AMP" Jack on 1747-PIC -> 25/9 converter -> PC serial port.

The 1747-PIC actually gets its power from the DH485 cable, which is why it usually plugs into the "Peripheral" port of a 1747-AIC isolator, or right into the DH485 port of an SLC-5/01,2,3 controller.

The RJ-45 jack on the PanelView does not itself provide DH485 power. Usually the power comes from the SLC to which the PanelView is connected via the "AMP" connector.

I'm not totally certain about this, since you stated you can "see" the PV terminal in RSWho, but I think you might need to add an auxiliary power supply or plug in the SLC to the system.

It's a bit of a Catch-22 when you're doing firmware upgrades, because the PV terminal needs that 24v power but also needs to not have communication traffic to it.

I haven't used these old utilities in quite a while. Can you post a little more information about whether or not the PV terminal is also connected to the SLC at the time you try to run the upgrade tool ?

Hi Ken,

Thanks a million for the reply.

Actually my configuration was PC to AIC using the PIC cable, AIC to PV550. We did this on a benchtop, with no processor, as instructed in the firmware upgrade utility read me file.

I actually seemed to have a little more luck today (without doing anything differently). After selecting download and cycling power to the PV, the utility message changed to something like "Erasing Flash Memory" and transferred about 128 bytes before giving a timeout error.

We've got a new PV being delivered tomorrow, but we still have several with older FRN's in stock, and I'd like to be able to update them if the same issue arises down the road.

I'm wondering a couple of things:

- Is there a limitation on which FRN's can be upgraded? I couldn't find any information on this. In this case, I was trying to upgrade from 2.XX (don't have it in front of me) to 4.41.

- Is there anyway to update with a memory card on these older units? The existing FW is not compatible with the ATA cards , any way to get the firmware file onto the 2711-NM12 card?

Many thanks,

Rob