OT:Windows 7

There have been a few Win 7 threads on here and those of us that have been using it love it.

I bought three copies but of course I got sent out of town the week it goes official. But I have been using it since the beta.

My work laptop uses XP and I cannot do anything about that. My home PC uses Win 7 and I much prefer it over XP.

There is a free 60 or 90 day trial version. Try it. There are several major improvements, but for me, it is a whole bunch of small changes over Vista that make it a winner for me. I never had any issues with Vista that I didn't inflict upon myself.

I see a weekend of backing up, formatting, and installing software in my future!

OG

Last edited:
W7 is awesome on every computer I have put it on. That would be Dell XPS, C840, Motion tablet, and a couple of other dells. I renewed my technet subscription just to be able to get the beta's, and now the full installs with 10 keys @ only $300.

I put the RSLinx 2.54, and RSLogix 500.. It all worked perfect with W7. I had to get my own drivers for the SLC cables, but they were easy to find and install.

One of my guys was doing the beta test - he says it is the best operating system Microsoft has put out since they started Windows.

I post in the Toms Hardware forum and although the majority of posters dislike (often times unfairly) Vista, I have almost never heard anyone say anything bad about W7. Of course they are not controls people.

I'm kind of a nerd, so I'll probably pick it up pretty soon.

There have been a few Win 7 threads on here and those of us that have been using it love it.

I bought three copies but of course I got sent out of town the week it goes official. But I have been using it since the beta.

My work laptop uses XP and I cannot do anything about that. My home PC uses Win 7 and I much prefer it over XP.

There is a free 60 or 90 day trial version. Try it. There are several major improvements, but for me, it is a whole bunch of small changes over Vista that make it a winner for me. I never had any issues with Vista that I didn't inflict upon myself.

I see a weekend of backing up, formatting, and installing software in my future!

OG

What I am reading though is a full back up of all data and program files be performed first, then treat the install as a brand new one from scratch. I see that being a pain.

Better left to install Win7 on a new PC then.

What I am reading though is a full back up of all data and program files be performed first, then treat the install as a brand new one from scratch. I see that being a pain.

Better left to install Win7 on a new PC then.

That is what I have been reading. I'm a fan of a full install over an upgrade anyway.

installed it yesterday, windows 7 professionsal - 32 bit, managed to install Intouch on it but it wouldnt accept Siemens S7, just finished setting up the XP mode so i will be placing S7 on the virtual XP part of Windows 7 tonight.
Really fast on my Precision M4300 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo....really impressed so far!!:p

Give me a break

Really fast on my Precision M4300 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo
Windows 95 ran of 500-1000 Mhz machines with MUCH slower ram a and smaller caches and only 1 CPU.

W7 has been given a 20 times the cpu power handicap. W7 better look good. The amazing thing is how can Microsoft make Vista look so bad.

One of my biggest pet peeves slow response or pauses when none of the activity meters is pegged out. We shall see. Right now I am deciding between a new 27 inch iMac or getting W7 for an old hand me down from work.

The software developers like W7 but they have the new quad core Nehelams with fast raid zero drives. That should make any operating sing but they need this to generate the bloat ware windows applications. The software developers belong to the MSDN developers network and have been running W7 since July. For us there were only a few tweaks that needed to be made to make our windows applications W7 compatible. It shouldn't take other companies that long to make their software W7 compatible.

BTW, the new Nehelam processors and raid drives reduces the full compile times by a factor of 3 so compiles that took 9 minutes now take 3 using only one of four processors. I wonder when applications will be able to take advantage of the 4 cores.

Apple just released Snow Leopard last summer. It has support for taking advantage of multiple CPUs. I wonder if W7 has this or will it take MS 5 more years to work this out for W8.

Meanwhile the my old RMC100 development system still works well using WIN98 on a 300Mhz machine using Borland TASM and C. I wonder if I can run my old DOS debugger on W7. WinXP and Vista wouldn't run the turbo debugger.

Apple just released Snow Leopard last summer. It has support for taking advantage of multiple CPUs. I wonder if W7 has this or will it take MS 5 more years to work this out for W8.

This is a somewhat nebulous statement. Windows NT had support for multiple processors as did XP. Is there something specific that Snow Leopard introduced with regard to multiple CPU's that wasn't available in NT or XP?

Brian

...Meanwhile the my old RMC100 development system still works well using WIN98 on a 300Mhz machine using Borland TASM and C. I wonder if I can run my old DOS debugger on W7. WinXP and Vista wouldn't run the turbo debugger....
Peter,
From what I have read, you might try it in a Virtual Window similar to what Longhorn is doing for WinXP.

MikeW

OG

I went on the windows site looking for the free trial version and couldnt find it. Does anyone know where i could find it?

The free download has not been available (legally) for at least a month now. Likely will not be made available again.
Be careful if you DL one of the 'net' versions.