Programming over a DH 485 Network.

Tharon

I set up a small DH 485 network with two MircoLogix 1500 and a C-more HMI. I have four 1761-NET-AIC Advanced Interface Converters. I used the Belkin cable recommended in the AIC+ User Manual. One AIC+ is a spare. One for each ML 1500, and one for the C-more. The Network is communicating correctly the C-more is able to pass data to and from both MicroLogix processors. The C-more is Node 1, and the ML1500s are nodes 2 and 3.

I'm trying to connect my PC to program the two MicroLogix 1500 processors. The manual shows using a 1761-CBL-PM02 or a 1747-CP3. I have tried both of these cables on the spare AIC+ and I tried the 1747-CP3 on one of the used AIC+ units in the unused port. RSLinx cannot find any nodes. I even tried using a 1747-UIC between the PC and the AIC+, but I think that is not supposed to be there.

I cannot seem to get this working. I know it's probably something really stupid on my end.

What driver are you using in RSLinx?
Does your PC have a real serial port?
How are you powering the AIC+ connected to your PC?

My PC does not have a real serial port. I have a USB to Serial adapter. This one to be exact:
http://www.serialgear.com/1-Port-Serial-USB-USBG-232.html (My IT guy refused to special order a laptop with a real Serial, and said the adapters work just as good!)

I have tried
DH485 UIC Devices
1747-PIC/AIC+ Driver

The AIC+ is being powered by an external 24V power supply.

When I did notice that when I had it set to DH485 UIC Devices and was using either recommended cable, the DH485 network would start failing to communicate until I unplugged the cable.

Last edited:
You need to use the AB 1747-UIC.

So, just so I get this right:

PC -> 1747-UIC -> 1747-CP3 (or 1761-CBL-PM02) -> AIC+ -> DH 485 Network

Well, OK now, it works with that setup. Every time I tried to use the 1747-UIC I wasn't using the right cable with it. I was using a normal straight thru cable rather than the 1747-CP3. I tried the 1747 CP3 with just the USB to serial adapter. I told you it was probably something stupid on my end :)

Last edited: