Ethernet for Idiots like me

waynemac

Hi all,
Never posted before and thanks to everyone for all the great information you provide. I have been using SLC stuff for years and now am having my first venture into rslogix 5000. I have a compactlogix L35e and a panelview plus 1000. I seem to have a grasp on the new software but the ethernet communications are killing me,frankly I just don't get it. I am using a hub but I cannot see the processor or the panelview no matter what I do. I have searched the internet for tutorials but haven't found anything. I have no support at work....can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

I have assigned the panelview and IP address, not the PLC. Do they have one assigned already as the Panelview does? One thing for sure I do not understand is on my laptop,when I open up my local area connections, the box comes up to put in IP addresses, what goes where? I have no idea what a subnet mask really is either.

They do not have an IP address out of the box. If you have not given it a firmware, you will need to do that also.

If you can connect to it via serial, you can assign the Ethernet address in RSLinx. If not, you can use the BootP utility that comes with RSLogix 5000.

You will have to give your PLC and PC an address similar to your PanelView. Say your PanelView is 192.168.1.10, then you should give your PLC 192.168.1.11 (or something between 1 and 254). Then give your PC 192.168.1.12. I would recommend giving all of your devices (including your PC) a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

I used this web site to get me an understanding of ethernet

http://www.industrialethernetu.com/

Then use curriculum.

Most rockwell equipment if i remember right comes with an address of 192.1.1.xxx

Now if you keep your subnet to 192.1.1.xxx then your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

The 255 stop you from routing to other subnet addresses, which at this stage is what you will want, the 0 lets you use any number from 0 to 255 in place of the xxx
Each unit needs a different address number in place of xxx

added dmrodeders address ranges look like they they may be the norm mine were a stab as I could not exactly remember, well still can't actually.

Last edited:
I used this web site to get me an understanding of ethernet

http://www.industrialethernetu.com/

Then use curriculum.

Most rockwell equipment if i remember right comes with an address of 192.1.1.xxx

Now if you keep your subnet to 192.1.1.xxx then your subnet mask will be 255.255.255.0

The 255 stop you from routing to other subnet addresses, which at this stage is what you will want, the 0 lets you use any number from 0 to 255 in place of the xxx
Each unit needs a different address number in place of xxx

added dmrodeders address ranges look like they they may be the norm mine were a stab as I could not exactly remember, well still can't actually.

All out of the box Rockwell products need to be assigned an IP address either via Bootp or DHCP.

dm is on the right track, if ya' got DF1 then flash the PLC and assign an IP addy through the serial port after restart. That's the easy way, it's slow but who cares, you can read all about what your doing while it's doing it.
Or you can bootP through a crossover cable or use a switch, if your using a HUB you will most likely need a crossover cable anyway so forget the HUB.