Are there free relay logic editors?

If it is Allen Bradley they use, I'd say let them stick with AB and use what Smoke suggested.
If they are open, Horner offers their c-Scape software for free.
Their PLC/HMI combo units (OCS) are really cheap so they may be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone if they go ahead and utilize the hardware.

I read Peter's request as he is looking for some software that can recreate what the link he posted shows. Make it look just like someone did with paper and pencil only with software. At least that's my take on his post.
Sorry I don't have an answer.

Mickey understands correctly

I wasn't asking about ladder logic editors. I know about those. I am refering to old fashioned relays, coils, stone, knives and bear skins from the time BC. ( before computers ).

You can see there is quite a difference. There is also a difference how they work because ladder logic works sequentially as opposed to simultaneously.

However, I will to introduce the hydraulic forun to the free ladder programs but you must realize that ladder is yet another thing to learn.

Is that a cct that the person has designed or copied? That would be a nightmare to fault find on with both positives and neggatives being switched :)

(EDIT, after following cct a bit more!) Ahh, I see i wont work will it, and you want to simulate why to the other guy?
I feel silly now !

Last edited:
Is that a cct that the person has designed or copied?
I am pretty sure it was recently designed.

That would be a nightmare to fault find on with both positives and neggatives being switched :)
I agree that the the coil in the middle of the rung look non standard. Perhaps if there was a better editing tool the parts could be moved around a bit which is the whole point of this thread.
The circuit is too small to be a nightmare. I would add some to it, not to the make it a big enough to be a nightmare but to add more functionality. Right now it would simply go up and down. There is no time to insert and remove parts but that isn't the point of the question.

(EDIT, after following cct a bit more!) Ahh, I see i wont work will it, and you want to simulate why to the other guy?
I feel silly now !
Why not? I think it will go up and down. Whether this is usable or not is another issue.

I am pretty sure it was recently designed.

I agree that the the coil in the middle of the rung look non standard. Perhaps if there was a better editing tool the parts could be moved around a bit which is the whole point of this thread.
The circuit is too small to be a nightmare. I would add some to it, not to the make it a big enough to be a nightmare but to add more functionality. Right now it would simply go up and down. There is no time to insert and remove parts but that isn't the point of the question.

Why not? I think it will go up and down. Whether this is usable or not is another issue.

OK, I was looking at S4 as a manual OR overide switch and then saw that if R4 was energised then C4 would never pull in.

One thing to get across to your "student" is that this design is potentially dangerous; if there is a fault to ground (and the 0v leg of the power supply is NOT isolated) in one of the cables out to the limit switches (which would not blow the fuse) then the Estop would not work as the return path through either R3 contact would allow R1/R2 to stay energised.

Also if R1 or R2 jammed, the stop would not work until the end of the stroke.

I suspect it would be good to actually ask him/her to think what would happen if the wire out to the limit was damaged and make them think?

Are you looking for something that just looks like the paper version but computer drawn & editableor something that simulates the function of the circuit drawn?

For looks, I'd check out http://www.qcad.org which is very low cost or something else I just found http://www.doublecad.com/ which is free.

If you want to simulate the circuit drawn you might be able to do this in SPICE but I don't know enough about that program to know if it has has the clickety clack elements or just transistor/ resistor/capacitor stuff. Your hardware designers should know whether it can be used or not.