Length of wiring

glpdrumerx

I have a project in which we are extending a furnance 100 feet. It is appox. 120 feet from the control panel to the end of the line now. We plan to add a panel with terminal strips at the junction point and rewire from there. Should I be worried about a drop in voltage for motors and control wiring at the new distance? With conduit drops the estimated total distance should be 250-260 feet.

Will you motors be on drives? Definitely check the drives recommendations as far as output line reactors at that distance.

There are a number of online voltage drop calculators, but in general a motor isn't going to care about the voltage drop in a 250' line that is properly sized for the motor.

Instrumentation might be a different issue. 4-20mA instruments should be fine. Thermocouples might need a transmitter, emphasis on might, because T/Cs often work just fine at that distance, but not always. If you have any TCs then try it out ahead of time and then be ready with a contingency plan.

What about 120 VAC I/O? At what distance would these be a problem?

If the distance is under a 1000' I am pretty sure your 120 dicreet I/O will be ok. I have ran discrete I/O over 2000' with no issues.

Disclaimer... This is using a 16 AWG wire