Controllogix 5563 LOCKED UP! What causes this?

tomalbright

I am back! Got laid off, now am back working with a company (oil platform) that has an ungodly amount of PLCs and Wonderware. My kind of place!

A few weeks ago I had a Controllogix PLC lock up. It's the backup PLC in a redundant pair. When I say "lock up", I mean - Controlnet had red lights, backup module was showing "????" and the ethernet module address was not scrolling. Cycling power and switching the prog/run switch cleared it up, but this was weird.

Any ideas? Battery backup, good power, etc.

Glad to hear you're back in the thick of it, Tom. I'm on an LNG project myself, landside in the Arabian Gulf.

Such a major lockup sounds like bad juju. The first thing to do is do a thorough review of the hardware for the dreaded Atmel64 issue. Get the RA Knowledgebase documents regarding the 2007-05-002 issue.

http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40149

The ControlLogix may have some information in an operating system dump file, if indeed it dumped the operating system. Get the "FDU" utility from RA Tech Support. The SRM module may also have some log information from just before it went down the rabbit hole.

what company are you working for? must be deepwater, I cant recall seeing a redundancy module on anything on the shelf?

It's not too far out. But yeah, after the hurricane a few years ago, everything got rebuilt with redundancy. I've never seen a setup like this out here, either.

It's nice, though! Ken, can't check the card but thanks for the info. The software tools from Rockwell won't work with my RSLinx. See my other thread for that one.