WinCC Flex 2007 Advanced and Alarm Logging

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have read many ways of how to use scripts to log alarms to the hard-drive or MMC card on a MP270 and Runtime systems.

But what I can't find is why writeing a script would be better than setting up the Alarm log under historical data?

Are there issues with the historical data or is it so limiting that the script is a better way to go.

Thanks for any feedback,
-Joel

We use the built in logging to log to a server.
The only problem we had was recovering from dropped connections.
Has been fixed using the built in scheduler.

We have seen no need to use a script for this.

Do you do this on a MP270?
Or something of a higher level, or even runtime?

I have read multiple how-to's and some say logging to server can be done on a MP270 others say it can't.

Do you do this on a MP270?
Or something of a higher level, or even runtime?

I have read multiple how-to's and some say logging to server can be done on a MP270 others say it can't.

We do it on a OP270.
Server needs to be in same address range.
DNS must be active in said network, this because WinCC works on name definition, it won't connect to an IP address, thus DNS must know server.
User defined on the panel to access the network must have access to server drive.

It logs to .csv file that can easily be imported into database of choice.

What do you mean user defined on panel?

I havne't read anything about that.

Control Panel > Network > Identification.

User + Password that should be used to log onto network resources and the Domain.

My setup is using a workgroup and not a domain.

Could that be my problem?
It didn't way anything in the guide about one or the other.

My items don't see each other on the networks even tho I can ping them.

I read in another forum that I should be able to share the drive on my PC and then map it into the Panel (MP277)
I don't see this option on the HMI either?

You can't map a network drive from the Panel. If there is a way, I haven't found it after 3 days of searching.
I have had 0% success rate in a Workgroup. In a Domain, once the parameters are entered correctly, it works like a charm.

After searching a bit I found out that Panels connect by name resolution. You need an active DNS server that the Panel can query. It all depends on this. Even in a domain, when you enter the IP in stead of the name of the server, it won't work.

\\servername\sharename <-- This works, but requires a DNS
\\serverIP\sharename <-- This doesn't

Wow, this is alot different then the simple HOW-TO file I found.

Thanks alot for your help.

I'll have to read up on this abit, networking has never really been my strong point.

-Joltron

Added:
Did some research and everything points to large scale setting up thru a registrar and spending money. Is there anyway to do a small scale DNS server on a local PC?

Another addon:
It kinda seems like instead of a DNS server they are trying to us the lmhosts file in windows to do the translation from name to IP instead of a DNS server, but still doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your help.

Our IT department stopped by and put the computer on our domain so now it is working.

Its just funny that the HOW-TO's didn't say anything about needing to be on a domain with DNS.

Didn't notice the updates on the previous post.
Using the lmhost file was one of the ways I tried. Didn't work. Also no hosts file on the panel.
(note: this is how I discovered the use of telnet being a potential security risk)

The small how to's are too small.
Took me quite some time to find the correct manual that explicitly says you need a DNS.

Good to hear it's working, just remember this limitation for future implementations.
Once the .csv's are on the server, you can do with them what you want. Just remember the following:

- Opening them in Excel will close them for the panel. This means the panel stops logging. We copy them to a temp folder to view the information.
- When using a 3rd party software, or own software to fetch the info and drop it into a more readable database, remember to use: OpenFileStreaming. This is what Delphi uses to read a file but not lock it for other programs.
- Accounting for network failures. This means using the scheduler in WinCCFlex to stop and start logging at a certain time so you lose a minimal of historical data. Every day at a certain time we do the following:
=> Stop logging (Alarm log)
=> Close all logs
=> Open all logs
=> Start logging (Alarm log)

The close and open are there to re-initiate a network connection with the server. Meaning it'll try to re-establish a connection should it have been dropped due to network failure. This process takes about 30 secs

Hope this helps.
It's a lot to take in, but once it works it'll do it's job well.

To keep the file from locking when opening in excel I just set the HMI to have full read/write access and the pc's for viewing to have read only access.

That way you can open in excel as read-only and will keep on logging.

Good note on scheduler, I'll have to look into setting that up.

Is it possible to monitor the log or to throw up an alarm if the log file fails. I figure it will be in the alarm log but hoping for a bit or something that gets set so I can put a flashing indicator on the screen.

Do you know where I can find this manual that states you need to use DNS, it would be good to have on hand.

I don't think it is capable of this either but I'm hoping to eventually get a 30 day circular loop of alarm logs.
OP30AlarmLog1
OP30AlarmLog2
OP30AlarmLog30
Then start over at 1 again.

I know it's possible in VB but looking for something already put in place. Do you know of anything?