Optical Fiber Communcation doubts

shirish

Hello Guys

I am using 8 plc's of Allen & Bradley(6-ML1100 & 2-ML1400) and "Factory talk view studio SE" all has to communicate in Ethernet network.
2 plc's are located around 1.5 KM far from others i want to use Optical fiber cable's for communication and i am using Allen & Bradley's product Ethernet Switch which having separate port for optical fibre cable.
1.What should be the configuration of optical fibre cable in this case?
2.How delay will come in terms of PLC response?
3.How can i connect ofc cable to above mentioned Ethernet Switch?

Thanks for (viewing/+Comments) on my problems.
Shirish
India

Allen-Bradley brand Ethernet switches use ordinary fiber optic connectors and ordinary fiber optic cables. There is nothing specific or unusual about them.

Exactly which model of Ethernet switch are you using ? The model number will allow us to point you to the user manual, which will specify the type of connector and the type of fiber optic cable.

Fiber optic Ethernet is extremely fast compared to the communication response speed of a MicroLogix controller. I would expect no measurable delay in communication response from these controllers due to their location at the end of a fiber-optic Ethernet segment.

As an example, the Stratix 2000 series switches have Fiber-optic ports with "Duplex LC" style connectors and are intended for use with 1310 nanometer fiber optic media of a "graded index multimode" type, either 62.5/125 um or 50/125 um multimode cable.

The typical maximum length for this kind of media is 2000 meters.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1783-in001_-en-p.pdf

Pretty Standard Stuff

2000 meters is about standard for "100BaseFX" fiber optics with ordinary 62.5/125 micrometer multi-mode fiber.

This is the most common fiber you see in campus and office networks, and the built-in ports on the Stratix 2000 and 8000 switches are this type of port.

The Stratix 8000 also offers modular "SFP" ports into which you can place a laser module that can use one of the other popular fiber optic standards, like 100Base-LX or 1000Base-LX single-mode fiber, which can run for 10 kilometers. This is the ordinary methods for fiber optic interface to enterprise switches.

Optical Fibre Communication

Allen-Bradley brand Ethernet switches use ordinary fiber optic connectors and ordinary fiber optic cables. There is nothing specific or unusual about them.

Exactly which model of Ethernet switch are you using ? The model number will allow us to point you to the user manual, which will specify the type of connector and the type of fiber optic cable.

Fiber optic Ethernet is extremely fast compared to the communication response speed of a MicroLogix controller. I would expect no measurable delay in communication response from these controllers due to their location at the end of a fiber-optic Ethernet segment.

As an example, the Stratix 2000 series switches have Fiber-optic ports with "Duplex LC" style connectors and are intended for use with 1310 nanometer fiber optic media of a "graded index multimode" type, either 62.5/125 um or 50/125 um multimode cable.

The typical maximum length for this kind of media is 2000 meters.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1783-in001_-en-p.pdf

Here we are using 1783-US06T01F (6 Port Ethernet switch)

Ken

Could you help me select a part number from belden? I was looking at http://www.belden.com/07Markets/07_Enterprise/07_Enterprise_Data_Center_Solutions/16.20_21.pdf and http://www.belden.com/07Markets/07_Enterprise/07_Enterprise_Data_Center_Solutions/16.27_34.pdf

What is the difference between tight buffer and loose tube? how many fibers do i need? the choice is between 1-12?

I am trying to connect all the equipment back to a server room so we can use factorytalk asset center and have remote access to all the lines.

I want 1000mbit multimode i think? multimode is the fastest correct?

Ken

Could you help me select a part number from belden? I was looking at http://www.belden.com/07Markets/07_Enterprise/07_Enterprise_Data_Center_Solutions/16.20_21.pdf and http://www.belden.com/07Markets/07_Enterprise/07_Enterprise_Data_Center_Solutions/16.27_34.pdf

What is the difference between tight buffer and loose tube? how many fibers do i need? the choice is between 1-12?

I am trying to connect all the equipment back to a server room so we can use factorytalk asset center and have remote access to all the lines.

I want 1000mbit multimode i think? multimode is the fastest correct?

It has been awhile but I think the difference is where you can use it. I think loose tube is filled with a gel that is a water repelant. What this does is prevent water from getting inside the insulation and freezing. If the water froze the expanding ice would shear the glass.The tight bundle is what you use inside where your looking more for strength instead of enviromental protection.

Once again this is from way back. Single Mode is for long distance and Multimode is for short. Multimode is cheaper to terminate and the so it is most common in LAN networks where single mode is the stuff you drop in the ocean.

Speed is is based on bandwidth so I doublt you will really need to worry about that. The biggest issue with fiber is thruput. Can the light get from point A to point B without dispersing to much. Hence glass can transmit further than plastic.

Anyway your transmitter and reciever are going to decide which fiber you use anyway. I getting smoke in my ears now but I seem to remeber something about single mode using a narrower beam of light. You will probably use multimode.

If you get to tour a Corning Fiber Optic plant take it. The way that stuff is made will trip you out. I was a subcontrator for them around 10 years ago and learned more than I ever wanted to know about fiber.

If you want a gigabit you will almost always have to go with Single mode. If that was a typo then multimode will get it done.

Last edited: