Danfoss FC302 connected with VLT5000 on profibus

Angelos

Hi All, i have a FC302 on this profibus network with a number of VLT5000 drives. The existing drive that blew up (VLT5000) has now been replaced with a FC302 and we have installed the MCA114 optin card to translate the profibus control word from a VLT5000 to the FC302. As we dont want to replace the GSD file on the PLC, we rather put in the option card and setup the drive. Anyway, we cannot access the FC302 directly via PC to USB coz it keeps giving an error " unknown option card"
We are using MCT10 setup software with version 3.13, the latest update from danfoss site. My question is how to get past this optin error and osetup the drive coz now i have to input the data via keypad on the drive and this really sucks.

Short answer - I never had your exact problem, but Danfoss never worked consistently on profibus, which was one of the (many) reasons we eventually dropped them as a supplier. This was more than 3 years ago in the US so things might have changed....

Thier keypad interface wasnt bad though - we always bought the 'best' HMI though (not sure how many were offered), if you dont have the ncie HMI box, maybe you could purchase one for testing/storing configurations. How many parameters do you need to change ? (we never messed with more than 20 or 30 in an application)

Hope you can get it to work.
-John

Thanks John for your reply. After not being able to connect PC to Drive via USB we manually input the values and have started to get the unit to operate. Still a few bugs but we should be getting it up an ready soon. I am still new with VSD's and am learning so i dont know exactly what needs to be entered into the keypad for the drive to work correctly. All i see is hundreds of values in 7 setups. We only use 1. "mainenance" and 2. "normal" mode. The Danfoss drives are a headache but it will be too costly to replace them all. We have about 20 VSD's.
Keep in touch
Regards
Angelos

Great post Angelos, we have are in the exact same situation and I did'nt know they had a module that can translate de Profibus exchange from a 5000 to a FC 302.

Our experience here on the Profibus with Danfoss VLT5000 is it's working pretty much flawlessly. We do have the 24V option module on each drive which keeps them alive even when the main power is out though. So that way the nodes are not on and off the network all the time. It might help keeping the stability of the network, maybe not, but works for us.

Have you ever used a card such a CP5512 to connect directly to the profibus network using the MCT10 software? I want to do that to save all of our drives parameters at once instead of connecting to each drive via RS-485. I just need to know how to get from the 5512's DB9 to the 2-wire Profibus. Let me know if you know how to do it.