RSLogix5000 subroutine comments

gravelrash

Hi, I'm new to RSLogix5000 and this forum so apologies in advance if I do something wrong! My question is, how do I comment at the very start of a subroutine, ie at the top of the ladder? I can only find how to comment a rung. Do I have to create a 'dummy rung' at the start of the subroutine to get a comment/description of what the routine does overall, or is there another way? Thanks, Ash

If you right click on the routine in the controller organizer on the left. Then click properties, it will give you a spot for a routine description.

If you need the description in the ladder itself you can edit the rung comment, describe the routine, skip a line then describe the rung itself if necessary.

I normally use an NOP on a dummy rung.
You can fit a lot more info on a rung comment than in the subroutine description.
Regards Alan

I generally do what Alan does. Create a rung and put a NOP on it. The quick way to do it is click on an existing rung, CTRL+R, type NOP, enter.

Veering off topic:
If there is information in that routine that I think will be of interest to a programmer, I will sometimes put instructions on that rung to display that information.

For example, we were working on a conveyor line that had about a dozen photo eyes along it. I put each one on the first rung in order with a NOP. Then if I or anyone else wanted to see the state of all those eyes, they could see them in one spot.

For example, we were working on a conveyor line that had about a dozen photo eyes along it. I put each one on the first rung in order with a NOP. Then if I or anyone else wanted to see the state of all those eyes, they could see them in one spot.

Slick idea I like that. Where do I sent the royalty check to evrytime I use that?