"EtherNet/IP" verses "TCIP/IP"

davev

Presently have a scale equipment that has an "EtherNet/IP" module in it. Use that to have in on ethernet along with a A-B Control Logix and have setup the I/O config of the PLC setup so the scale module is addressed (4 in words, 4 out words).

THe scale equipment module (Rice Lake) specifiaclly says "Ethernet/IP".

Not understanding "EthernetI/P" verses, say, "TCIP/IP".

Other PLCS that have ethernet ports (such as Mitsi) say their ethernet port supports "TCIP/IP" or "UDP/IP". So...can I use that with the scale module?

I am missing some understanding somewhere. WHere can I learn more about "EhterNet/IP" and "TCIP/IP"? If you are wondering, yes, I am an older guy with a white mustasche.

While TCP/IP and UDP and general Ethernet levels of protocol Ethernet I/P is an Allen Bradley specific implementation of the CIP (Common Industrial Protocol) over Ethernet. They arent't the same thing at all.

I'm and older guy with thinning hair and no mustache.

While TCP/IP and UDP and general Ethernet levels of protocol Ethernet I/P is an Allen Bradley specific implementation of the CIP (Common Industrial Protocol) over Ethernet. They arent't the same thing at all.
quote]

Thanks Bernie,

I assume that is a typo and should be
While TCP/IP and UDP are general Ethernet levels of protocol , Ethernet I/P is an Allen Bradley specific implementation of the CIP (Common Industrial Protocol) over Ethernet.
(not trying to be critical, just trying to understand)

Okay, my confusion is not recognizing that they are different. Apparently you have keept up on all this better than I. Thanks.

Last edited:
Presently have a scale equipment that has an "EtherNet/IP" module in it. Use that to have in on ethernet along with a A-B Control Logix and have setup the I/O config of the PLC setup so the scale module is addressed (4 in words, 4 out words).

THe scale equipment module (Rice Lake) specifiaclly says "Ethernet/IP".

Not understanding "EthernetI/P" verses, say, "TCIP/IP".

Other PLCS that have ethernet ports (such as Mitsi) say their ethernet port supports "TCIP/IP" or "UDP/IP". So...can I use that with the scale module?

I am missing some understanding somewhere. WHere can I learn more about "EhterNet/IP" and "TCIP/IP"? If you are wondering, yes, I am an older guy with a white mustasche.

Its the usual telephone analogy,

a guy with a telephone in Moscow can call a guy on New York over the phone ( Ethernet ) , but the guy in Moscow speaks TCP/IP and the guy in New York speaks Ethernet I/P. They dont undertand each other's language.

" What we got here.....is failure.. to commuinicate"
from Cool Hand Luke

While "IP" in "TCP/IP" stands for "Internet protocol", the same abbreviation in "Ethernet/IP" stands for "industrial protocol". As it was already mentioned, those are completely different protocols form different communication levels and Allen-Bradley did create a lot of confusion by naming it this way...

Hi davev, it's a good question, your confusion is understandable. The Wikipedia article is good, the short version is that Ethernet, TCP/IP, and EtherNet/IP are parts of what is called a "Protocol Stack". Ethernet is at the bottom, TCP/IP is in the middle, and EtherNet/IP is an application layer at the top that interprets the data. Using the telephony analogy, EtherNet/IP is like the language of the two people talking, and Ethernet and TCP/IP are the phone system. Thats why your Mitsi PLC can't talk to your Control Logix even though they have the same hardware and TCP/IP in common, they don't have the same application layer on top. A more appropriate name for EtherNet/IP would have been DeviceNet TCP, or as Bernie rightly points out CIP over TCP/IP or something like that, anything but using parts of words describing two lower layers that are required to make it work.

If there is one "common" language or protocol layer in the Industrial Ethernet world it would likely be Modbus TCP/IP. You may want to see if both parties here talk it, a lot do.