PV+ Printers

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

We have a PV1000+ that has an old HP1000 USB printer attached. This has been working fine for a year and a half, but now seems to be playing up. It was 2nd hand when we sourced it, as it was all that we could find that would support the PCL3 protocol.

I fear that I am going to find it even harder to source a compatible printer now, as back then, the current protocol was PCL6 I think.

What I want to ask is:
1. Is there the facility to update the PV+ firmware, to enable it so support modern printers, or is this but of the embedded CE OS and not possible
2. Anyone know where I can source a PCL3 printer that is supported by the PV+ range?
According to the HCL, models HP5651, HP5440, HP Deskjet 9800, HP6940 & HP6980 are 'certified', but trying to source these is not going to be that easy I do not think.

In theory, newer printers are 'backwards compatible' with PCL3, but I am pretty sure I tried this last time, and did not have any joy.

Interesting, so that device converts a Parallel port signal to a USB, and appropriate for the printer/protocol attached?

Looks good, but the printer I have at the moment, is attached to the PV+ via USB, I wonder if there is something similar that would do the same thing... time to google!

Have you used this device with a PV+?

Last edited:
I use them with PV+ 1000 CE units to print a paper copy and a pdf of each print action.

Ok, so next question(s).
1. As far as I can tell, the hardware is the same for the PV+ & PV+ CE, so what are the differences?
2. This device requires parallel port connection, but I cannot see that the PV+ has one, only the USB & Serial connections, how do you connect to the PV+?
3. Do you have a PC connected directly to this always, via the USB connection, and a printer connected to this PC?
4. What do they cost?

Update

I managed to find a printer of the ebay equivalend down here, and have tested with a Bench unit that I have, and was successful.

The model was a HP5550, but is also a superseded unit. From some of the reading that I did, I sort of established that most Deskjet printers support PCL3, whereas some of the others are PCL4 & 5.

I should maybe go to the local computer supplier, and try testing with a deskjet, and see if that works, will confirm a few things...
I did try contacting HP as well, to get some more detailed information, but have not heard back from them yet, if I do, I will post info back here.