Rsview me & rslogix 5000 plc tags

Programmer4

I am very new to this and I have tried to read the help files on importing my plc tags from my Contrologix processor to my RSview ME panelview touchscreen. I understand that I can get my tags from the plc while online, but I do not have the plc yet. I am needing a step by step procedure for getting my tags from the plc into my touchscreen project offline how can I do this?

There is an "Logix 5000 Tag Import Utility" that can take a Logix files saved as an L5K (text file) and convert the tags to RSView32 format. Then you have to see a technote on the knowledgebase about manipulating that format into FTView ME/SE format.

The utility works, but is a bit of a kludge, and will generate errors if it thinks the tag name/path is too long. I put it in the "65% complete" catagory of Rockwell utilities, but it is functional.

Don't do either !

The whole point of the FactoryTalk View / RSLogix 5000 tag browser integration is that you do not have to create a separate Tag Database inside FTView.

When you define a Shortcut in RSLinx Enterprise, there is a field on the bottom of the shortcut definition that allows you to point the tag browser to an offline RSLogix 5000 file.

You do have to create the Shortcut manually if you don't have the actual processor to connect to (you can always change it later) but once you've defined a shortcut to a controller and pointed RSLinx Enterprise to the Offline RSLogix 5000 file, you can directly browse the RSLogix 5000 tag database.

For help, search the Help files, Online Books, and Knowledgebase for "offline browsing" of RSLogix 5000 tags.