Slc 5-05 controller

anup

Hi
I am new to PLC, can anyone help me out in this.
I have a SLC 5-05 CONTROLLER and a software in PC which communicates with the SLC 505 through ethernet. I need to know what are the input and outputs from the software application which is being passed to/from the SLC 505.

Kindly suggest how to know the above so that i can write a new application which will intertact with the SLC 505.

Thanks in advance
anup

You will ned the original commented source PLC program to do that.
If the PLC isnt password protected, you can do an upload with RSLogix 500. However, without symbols or comments, dissecting what goes on in the program will be a big job, for a large program even a monumental job.

Thanks Jesper, could you please guide me on what are the program( .extension) i might need to upload from SLC 5-05 to better understand the PLC program

SLC-5/05 application programs are stored with an extension *.RSS.

These files can only be opened and edited with RSLogix 500 software.

Can you describe the PC software that interacts with the SLC-5/05 ? A brand name or product name would be helpful. There are dozens of different HMI software packages, and thousands of custom PC-based applications that communicate with SLC-500 family controllers.

Are you planning to create or modify the current "PC software" or are you going to write your own application from scratch ?

If you plan to write your own application, I think it is appropriate to quote here the poetry of American statesman Donald Rumsfeld:

The Unknown
by Donald Rumsfeld

As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know

:) Ken for the info, am having wonderware software application which interacts with SLC5/05, its been 15 years old and want to modify things there in the s/w application, if not have to write a new application from scratch.any suggestion from you guys are highly appreciated..

So, you have the RSLogix (.rss) or APS (.ach) source code for the PLC I guess.
And you have the old Wonderware program source code.

I dont know wonderware, but I guess that older programs can be converted or migrated or whatever to the latest and greatest version of ww.
That is the starting point for making any modifications.

And you may want to look in old notes, and maybe the user manual for the proces, if there was ever made one.

Kind of obvious, isnt it ?

Can i use RSLogix500 Starter 10Pt free version to upload .rss file frm SLC5/05. I understand i got to first use RSLinx to get SLC5/05 connected and then open RSLogix500 Starter to upload the source file( .rss) ..Kindly advise if the procedure is rite???

No, the SLC-5/05 controller is not supported by RSLogix 500 Starter Lite edition, the "free" version of RSLogix 500.

You need, at a minimum, RSLogix 500 Starter Edition.

I suggest that you may wish to recruit the assistance of somebody with both the software tools and SLC-500 experience.

Without the commented PLC source code, it will be a tough call.
You cannot upload that from the PLC.
Even an old printout on paper will be better than an uncommented program.

There is no free software to upload from SLC-5/05 controllers. Your list is of the licensed software products available from Rockwell Automation.

You require a license for RSLogix 500 Starter, Standard, or Professional software, or the services of somebody who does have that software. The nearest Rockwell Automation office may be able to assist you, especially if you are planning to purchase more products in the future.

Last edited: