Another drive question

peoplehouse

Sorry group but I got beat up at work today and I'm not sure if I can handle any research tonight.
My question is on the 1203-GD1 that connected to the SCANport on a 1336, can I use that same RIO and connect to DPI port 2 on a PF70?
If not is it acceptable to splice the blue hose in the enclosure that the RIO was mounted in to the 20 comm R in the PF70? It's about 2 feet away.
Thank you,
Jeff

I think your question is: "Can I unplug a RIO cable from a 1203-GD1 and plug it into a 20-COMM-R" and the answer is yes.

You can also, as you described, daisy-chain between them or splice in the former location of one and extend to the other.

The 20-COMM-R is not a direct logical replacement for the 1203-GD1 in all cases, however. Block Transfers are always enabled, so the 20-COMM-R can seldom be used as a 1/4 Rack device like the 1203-GD1 could be.

I always use these two Knowledgebase articles when migrating or combining these two devices:

Answer ID 21565

Answer ID 43077

Thank you Ken, actually I was hoping to still use the 1203 GD1 and use the SCANport cable to plug into DPI port 2 on the PF70 without adding the 20commsR to the PF70. Now that I've done some reading I don't think it would work.
I was just hoping to save some time when the 1336 fails and we have to replace it with the PF70. Management will not let me come in during non production hours to be proactive.
Thank you again
Jeff

Management will not let me come in during non production hours to be proactive.

My boss encourages me to come in on my own time whenever I want. As a matter of fact, there has even been a few times when he said I needed to spend more of my own hours here getting more done. Of course, that is without pay.

Sorry for the OT highjack:).

OK, now that you explain it like that I see your meaning.

I think that you actually can plug a SCANport adapter into a DPI host; i.e. DPI hosts are backwards compatible.

But you can't plug a DPI adapter into a SCANport host; SCANPort wouldn't know what to do with a DPI device.

That's a bit of conjecture... I would have to do some testing or ask RA Tech Support about it.

Thank you for looking into this for me Ken, I guess I should set up an account so I can login to the links that you've sent me. Anyways, if you think that it's worth while I can bench test this idea and see if I can make it work. Hopefully we have a spare 1203 laying around.
Hey Bruce, no worries!! I'm hourly so overtime is a no-no right now. When that 10 yr old drive fails and I have to retro fit a new drive and RIO...ah never mind, you get the picture.
Thank you,
Jeff