No, I can't fix a hydraulic seal by changing something in the PLC program.

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sorry Bubba, you are going to have to replace that bad seal.

Ever have one of those days when you just want to smack someone?:mad:

Sorry Bubba, you are going to have to replace that bad seal.

Ever have one of those days when you just want to smack someone?:mad:

Doesn't the PLC control the hydraulic pump that supplies pressure
causing the seal to leak? Turn off the pump, Bubba is happy.

I had a drive that was going into overcurrent and i found that the bearing on one side of the roll movement had characteristics of orbital eccentricity due to the wear / damage on the bearing. Supervisor said can you program around it?

I said no i am sorry but i can't program around a bad bearing.

The guy even went to the morning meeting and said that i would not program around it because i was being a hard a&% and did not want to help him out. Needless to say he looked like a real fool in front of the management.

I know you really can program around something like this. You've done it in the past. Why are you being such a harda$$ now? I know it's not the right way to fix it, but I promise we'll take the downtime and do it right next week, but we've got to get this extremely important order shipped or we risk pi$$ing off an important customer. I promise we'll do it the right way next week. I promise, promise, promise. Cross my heart and hope to die. Just this once, please, pretty please...

Me: So, I guess you're here to check out that squeal?

Leroy: Squeal? I don't hear it now, it stopped. Sounds like it's running OK now. Bye.:rolleyes:

The best reply so far

"If I could do that, we wouldn't need you around here"
Alaric, I feel your pain. I have felt it over and over again but the broken seal is a new one. Usually it is non-linear valves, too much hose between the valve and the cylinder, non-linear loads, counter balance valves, accumulators too small and pumps or valves that are simply to small.

You guys haven't heard me rant and rave about people that want to accelerate a ton from 0 to 20 inches per second instantly and then complain that the whole mill shakes. A higher power than I made up the laws of physics and I can't break them.

Alaric, you have only a few systems. In a tech support way we have many thousands.

To be fair, it wasn't the leak itself that they wanted fixed. They were content to put a bucket under the leak and empty it every five minutes as long as the machine would run - however the piston wouldn't develop enough force due to the leak and they wanted me to turn some mysterious magic parameter up so it would "push harder."

Blowing a 3 amp fuse - well just put in a 5

Air filter plugged up - well just take out the filter element

Torque limit switch tripping - jumper it

Panel filled - ah just tag it onto another breaker - we dont run both simultaneous - they did and tripped the breaker but I was home by then and did NOT answer the phone.

40 amp motor burned up # 12 - just replace it with #12 we dont have time to do it right. I refused to do it myself and was allowed to use right size conductor.

Glad I dont work there anymore.

Dan Bentler

Though in answer to pleading from the buyer of a new machine who wanted to run a case MUCH LARGER than the machine was designed to run, I offered to rearrange the sequence for that case only. The machine would only run 1/2 as fast but it could run the case (skipping a whole station allowed enough room to process the oversize case.) The customer was ecstatic and in the future bought more machines. I called it "lenghtening the machine is software". Though it did lead to many future odd requests from sales.

No, I can't fix a hydraulic seal by changing something in the PLC program. Sorry Bubba, you are going to have to replace that bad seal.

Supervisor said can you program around it?

I said no

I know you really can program around something like this. You've done it in the past.

Though in answer to pleading from the buyer of a new machine who wanted to run a case MUCH LARGER than the machine was designed to run,

The customer was ecstatic and in the future bought more machines.

There must be something wrong with me, because I consider these kinds of comments and questions flattery and praise.