data logging meter to rent/borrow

rpoet

All,
I'm looking for a data logging meter for rent/lending in the Chicago area. I have a friend that's trying to track down a flickering lights problem at a house, and of course it's intermittent.

They've replaced and re-run many of the house's circuits, as there was bad shared neutral mojo, due to dodgy renovation by a remodeling contractor, but the random flickering lights issue is still there.

At this point, we're not sure if it's internal to the house, or something else in the neighborhood. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear. We're almost at the sacrifice-a-chicken point.

Thanks,

rpoet

I had that problem in the house we recently moved to. Finally, just replaced the entire breaker panel. When I did I noticed many of the breakers in the old panel should evidence of arcing between the breaker and the distribution panel.

One other thought, does you house have copper or aluminum wiring?

I think we can rule out arcing to the panel as a problem, as we checked the panel, and even put AFCIs on the bedroom circuits. The house was built in '91, so no aluminum wire anywhere. It's even copper between the meter enclosure and the panel.

It's just weird.

Thanks,
rpoet

Check torque of main feeder lugs

Check for excess No-Ox in the lugs

Are thes the spring clamp type breakers? Sometimes the spring in the breaker gets weak and causes this problem.

That is why i like the bolt on type. They are4 more of a hassle to add a breaker if you do not have a main breaker or disconnect outside but offer a far superior connection.

Check the neutral to ground bond. Is it in the panel or the meter base? Make sure not both.

That happens on builds more than you would think.

It's looking at this point like a problem outside the house; the power co. is sending over its guy tomorrow to put a logging meter on the line. Apparently, we're not the first in the neighborhood to complain. We've narrowed the problem down to one of the two incoming phases.

We have basically rewired the second floor, as there were MANY issues regarding looping neutrals and grounding issues (botched remodel a few years ago, apparently). Funny how a problem outside the house leads to finding so many more issues that need fixing.

Thanks all.

-rpoet