Build new client base, how?

ydtech

Short history: After being laid off a couple of years ago I set up as a roving programmer with a couple of acquaintances, one equipment maker, the other an integrator. Lots of travel, lots of stress, lots of fun.

With the economic crunch a year or so ago new developments pretty much dried up, and of course this isn't doing anything good for me. I never had the time to build up a client base nor much of a network. Since I'm not really the forth-going entrepreneurial type I'm not sure of the best way to go about it.

So the question is: How did you independents go about it? Ferreting out potential clients, cold call or form letters, personal visit? Which approach worked best for you?

And no, "stole from former employer" doesn't count.

If by chance someone does need a programmer in Southern Brazil, feel free to PM me.