UL698a Class I Div 2 Question on build?

einnh

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking for some clarification if anyone here is familiar with UL698a panels.

Panel is out of zone/class'd area. with thermocouples extending into Cl.1.div2. This would generally make a portion of the UL508a panel fall under UL698a. It looks like on previous, similar, panels Class I Div 2 barriers were installed with the required spacing around them and the panels were listed as 698a. for signals extending into Class I Div 2.

But here is my confusion...

UL698a does not list Class I Div 2 in it, only Class 1 Div 1. But UL508a says to follow 698a. I asked our field rep. and was told basically we can build it to Class I Div 1 standards and use it for Class 1 Div 2, or procedure list it for class 1 Div 2 ($$). Is this accurate?

As far as building it, can we use Class I Div 2 barriers? Or do we have to use class 1 Div 1? With the appropriate spacing and separations, is this fine? I don't know why Div 2 is causing so much confusion.

Thanks.

Edit, I've been on here for 10 years it looks like! 🎂