Busted lamp

theripley

Hi,

We have installed an error-proofing system (pokayoke, as they call it in japanesse) last December. Since then, we have replaced the tower light lamp over three times (meaning the lamp seems to be busted almost every month). It seems to me that their power supply has some problem that causes the lamp to be busted.

I am thinking of connecting a resistor in line with the lamp but a 10 W, 220 Vac lamp needs a 10 W resistor, which is bulky. Is there any other way in correcting this problem other than putting a bulky resistor?

I am hoping I get economical answers.

LED Lamps

Why dont you switch over to LED Lamps? They are cost effective, Long life and Rugged compared to Usual Indication lamps.

Cheers

Rex

Yes, LED is the way to go.
I'm surprised that they still offer bulb type stack lights.
I don't imagine they sell too many these days.
The savings in price is pretty much eaten up the first time a bulb needs changing.

LED is an option, but the stadard bulb has been around for many years and been reasonably reliable. There is obviously a problem with the system.

A 'deeper dive' into your system may allow us to help fix it.

So far I see that it is a 10w bulb on a 220vac system.

My questions are:
1. Is the bulb rated for 220vac? (not 110v)
2. What switches the lamp on and off? A switch? A relay? What kind of relay?
3. How often is the bulb being turned on and off? Do you blink it on and off?
4. Is the socket rated for a 10w bulb?
5. Is the light powered off the same power circuit as a highly inductive load? Like a big motor, etc.

Answers to some or all of these questions would help us a bunch.

My questions are:
1. Is the bulb rated for 220vac? (not 110v)
Yes, it is rated 220 Vac.
2. What switches the lamp on and off? A switch? A relay? What kind of relay?
The green lamp is the one always being busted since it is ON majority of the time. We use two stack tower lights, one green (RUN) & red (ALARM).
3. How often is the bulb being turned on and off? Do you blink it on and off?
The green lamp turns ON when the system is running without error, once error is detected it turns OFF while red lamp is now being ON.
4. Is the socket rated for a 10w bulb?
Yes.
5. Is the light powered off the same power circuit as a highly inductive load? Like a big motor, etc.
We have isolated power supply for our system, a C.O.

I know this sounds so naive but what capacitor type & value do you usually use on this kind of application (220 Vac, 10 W load)?

If it was a DC application a capacitor may work but as you say on 220 volts AC the capacitor is not an option

If the stack could be made to operate on 24 volts the lamp filament would be more robust and would last longer
but the LED lamp suggested by other would be my choice

I know this sounds so naive but what capacitor type & value do you usually use on this kind of application (220 Vac, 10 W load)?

As Gil47 said, a Capacitor across the bulb isn't going to work to well with AC. As an alternative, you could use an MOV rated for around 250VAC if you think it is being spiked.

Vibration is also a likely suspect as mentioned.

LED Bulbs do last longer, but are more expensive. Worth it on a Beacon or Pilot that flashes. That eats bulbs very quickly.

Stu....

yeah I was thinking of a 24 volt hook up when I mentioned the capacitor. The reason being is that I had converted all my stacklamps to 24 volt LED types but thats due to My high wash down envirement.

Last edited:
Depending on the socket you may be able to directly replace the incadecent with a LED lamp. This would prevent having to change the fixture.

From what you are saying I doubt it is a power issue but more likely a vibration issue.

My guess on the power side is your talking about a @40 VAC system. I would check for residual voltage between ground and the netural going to the lamp. If it is high enough it can cause the lamp to burn out quickly.

While the LED lamp is more expensive than the incadecent, long term it may be cheaper.