SLC 503 Plus Intouch

Hundikoer

Hello!

I have 4 SLC503 processors and a PC, running InTouch. Also I have 5 1761-NET-AIC modules and 5 1761-CBL-AP00 cables to connect all this stuff. Anyway, the connection do not work at all. Wiring is OK and I tried to connect only one PLC. So InTouch IO server does not see anything and also RSLinx is just browsing. Any ideas?

BR
Lauri

This won't answer your question, but you can use RSLinx as your I/O Server. It saves you a little bit of money overall, but you have to get Linx OEM for it to work right.

As for your problem, if Linx doesn't see the SLCs, then the wiring isn't OK or you're not set up to scan the network correctly.

AB and Intouch

Ive noticed working on DH+ and DH485 that running linx and the IO server at the same time usually causes one or both the apps to stop polling the PLC. So, first off, only run 1 at a time. Secondly, lets forget about the IO server for now, and just try to get the DH network working with the SLCs and the PC. How is the PC conencted to the slcs? Do you have the AIC module hooked up to a comm port on the PC?

And linx is not seeing any of the PLCs at all correct? Do you have the comm port set up properly in linx? Are you using he 1747-pic / aic+ driver? What OS are you using? Is the pc a laptop? Is the serial port an actual port, or is it on a pcmcia card or a usb converter?

Its a desktop PC with built in COM port. SLC COM port settings are standard. I am afraid I cannot change that.
RSLinx is just browsing. All lamps are blinking and driver is OK.

Man, I hate dh485... ;)

Anyways, you have the comm port configured, and a station # assigned to the linx, and different nodes assigned to all the plcs, right? I wonder if the windows 2000 pic / aic bug is at work here. I think it only applies to laptops and such without real com ports. Have you tried to attach to a slc using DF1? That way you can ensure that your other port is configured to match your comm port settings, and they they have unique node #s.

Actually I was testing that with one PLC. I hoped that if I can communicate with that, it's OK. Anyway I failed. Its quite sure, that if RSLinx cannot see the device, noone can.

you should be able to hook a cp3 cable to your comm port, put the other end on the PLC, start linx, add the rs-232 df-1 device driver, then simply click auto-configure, and it will set your device, baud, id, parity, error checking, etc. One its done that, you should see your plc on the linx. Remove the other drivers you have running on linx first. This should work, ive never had it not. Plus it tell you what your comm port settings are on the pc as well, so u can put the same comm port info in when you hook the 485
network to that comm port.

quick edit, hey, 100 posts! cool.

From your description, you've left everything at it's default settings, which means the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver and the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 set for DF1 Full Duplex.

You've described a 1761-CBL-AP00 cable connecting the SLC-5/03 to the 1761-NET-AIC isolator. That's an RS-232 serial cable, with a DB9 plug on one side and a DIN8 plug on the other. This means you must be connecting to the Channel 0 serial port, not the Channel 1 network port. Channel 0 by default is set for DF1 Full Duplex communications.

DF1 full duplex is for point-to-point communications only, and will NOT work with the RS-485 network you have described.

All the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 serial ports MUST be changed to DH485 mode and set for unique Node Numbers.

The RSLinx driver MUST be changed to "1747-PIC/AIC+", not "DF1 Full Duplex".

Be certain also that you have 24V DC power on the NET-AIC modules ! They do not power themselves from any of the connected ports.