Ic697cmm742

Savorani

Hi every one,
I have a problem with this ethernet card working on a 9070 PLC.
Whenever the attached computer is switched off I get a CPU fault and I can't figure how to solve this problem.
The configuration is like this: slot 0 power supply; slot 1 CPX 772; slot 2 IC697CMM742; slot 3 IC697BEM731; slot 4 VME.
The folder was created with LM9070 and It has been imported into Proficy Machine Edition 5,5.
Can some one give advices?
Rgds
Loris

What device is displaying that error code? Have you gone online with Machine Edition and looked at the PLC's fault tble entries?
Steve, the error code is displayed into the PLC fault table and is generated by slot 2 (which is the ethernet card slot).
Of coarse I can clear the fault but that's not what I want because if I disconnet the pc I'll get every time the fault.
I think that for some reson the CPU is receiving an error when the etheernet card LAN in not giving the status ok.

Rgds

GFK-0265J, page B-7 identifies error code 453 as "LAN severe network problem, attempting recovery."

GFK-1186B, page 3-12 suggests the following user action to that fault:

"External condition prevented transmission of frame in specified timeframe. Could be busy netywork or network problem, User action: Check transceiver to make sure it is securely connected to the network. Check for unterminated trunk cable."

Is this fault group 14 (hex 10)? That's diagnostic, not a fatal fault that shuts down the PLC. It looks to me like it's just telling you that the CMM742 has lost communication with the PC.

GFK-0265J, page B-7 identifies error code 453 as "LAN severe network problem, attempting recovery."

GFK-1186B, page 3-12 suggests the following user action to that fault:

"External condition prevented transmission of frame in specified timeframe. Could be busy netywork or network problem, User action: Check transceiver to make sure it is securely connected to the network. Check for unterminated trunk cable."

Is this fault group 14 (hex 10)? That's diagnostic, not a fatal fault that shuts down the PLC. It looks to me like it's just telling you that the CMM742 has lost communication with the PC.

Hi Steve,
yes you are right, this is fault 14 (hex) and for sure the ethernet card looses communication because the PC shuts down.
What I would like to know is: is there the way to configure the software of CMM742 such as not to generate a fault?
As far as I know the CMM742 should operate without any tranciver but in this case when I shut down the PC the LAN would remain open. Do you have any suggestion for this?
Thanks a lot

Rgds
Loris

Back in the day I remember fooling around with a 90-70 and Logicmaster to user-defined fault messages. I don't remember the details beyond that you executed a SVC_REQ instruction, so I don't know if there is a way to prevent a diagnostic fault from being placed into the fault table.

You could also monitor the status bits and when a fault occurs, execute a SVC_REQ code 15 to read the entry in the fault table and if it is fault code 453 execute a SVC_REQ code 14 to clear the fault table.

There's also the simple fix: put an Ethernet switch in the panel and leave the PLC connected to that. That was our solution after we found that a CMM742 will fault when plugged directly into a Cisco 2950 switch. These were all in air-conditioned spaces so we just picked up $39 switches at Staples. They've been fine for several years now.

Mike