I/O table

wolverine

I am trying to find out how to create I/O tables. Do any of you guys have know of a link I can go to for a little help. If I could see how one is made for a start/stop circuit with a latch and motor, I could probably figure it out.
Thanks in advance.

An "I/O" table is usually an area in the PLC memory structure where the status of input devices is reported and where your program may place information to be sent to output devices. I know that's a bit general but so is your post.

Some PLC's allow you to describe the input/output hardware which will be attached (above any that comes already in the PLC). The table is usually built automatically based on this information. Others may, on power up, automatically discover what device modules are attached and make room in the "I/O" table for them.

The primary question at this point is, do you have any specific hardware in mind? Information about that would help greatly in receiving a more specific answer.

Edit: I see by your other thread that you have worked with the simulator here at this site. Is that what you are asking about?

Isn't there a type of I/O table usually develpoed in the planning stage of a project/installation. Let's say we know the task we want to accomplish and what equipment we'll use to do this. I thought an I/O table of sorts was developed to help with the actual writing of the program. My experience is with troubleshooting and repair of industrial machinery and I have on occasion had to access a program to put it back in "run" or change a timer and monitor a program to help with troubleshooting. I'm interested in learning more, and this sounds like where the first step of programming would be. Most of my experience is with AB and some with Siemens.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are asking but I use AB Integrated Architecture Builder to get an visual idea of my racks and IO, then I copy and paste the picture into excel, label my cards then underneath each card, I list the tag name and aliase information for each card. This helps my electricians later, most don't read prints well, or even know where to look in the book of prints to find what they are looking for. This way they get a quick visual reference of the input or output they are looking for.

Is that the info you were asking for???

If you have access to the specific PLC software then using its I/O table structure would be fastest.

If you are developing general concepts then go ahead and list your digital inputs in order by type (24VDC then 110 VAC etc) then your analog inputs. Give each a short unique name. This can also be used later when actually dealing with the real software and hardware. In like manner list your outputs again giving them short unique names.

Then begin relating the inputs to outputs with logical statements. This will start providing the flow of your program logic.

Ok, so there's not really a set way to do this as long as you and all that are involved at this stage understand the method you are using. It only becomes specific when you begin using the software and begin writing the program. I was thinking an I/O table was developed from an ISO type drawing then the program was written looking at this table. Thanks guys.

Last edited: