Selecting an OPC Server

andis59

Hello,

In what end should I start when selecting an OPC Server?

I'm programming PC using C++ or C#(.NET)
The PLC's are mainly Mitsubishi Melsec
We also need to control some Servo Motors, also Mitsubishi

The systems are small, one PC and one PLC. There is not alot of data about 100, where half is Integer and half Boolean

// Anders

Hej Anders.

Generally:

If you only plan to use this one PLC brand, then that PLC brands own OPC Server is typically the smartest choice. If something goes wrong, you have only one place to blame/get support from.
In your case, Mitsubishi's own OPC Server.

If you plan to use several PLC brands, then maybe it is an advantage to use a 3rd party OPC Server vendor that has many possible PLC brands as target. Then you only have to familiarize yourself with one software.
A couple of suggestions: Kepware and Matrikon. And do your own search for more alternatives.

N.B. I dont think you will access the servo motors directly from OPC.

I can recommend the KepServerEx which has a wide range of drivers for different PLC brands. It's easy to set up and use. Also there is Example Code for Visual Basic and C++ on how to use the tags in your PC program.

If you decide to give it a try, you can download a trial version from www.kepware.com. I can also provide you with a contact to the swedish distributor.

/pethoek

I agree with kepware however mitsubishi have MX Component, this is not opc but a set of dll's etc. for all mitsi plc's it is very fast for example I have an app in vb that sends 2000 registers to the plc in one block, kepware takes about 5 secs, mx takes about 2 on ethernet.