Bar Code Reader for SLC503

intouchx

I am looking to connect a barcode reader to an AB SLC503. The purpose is to verify that the operator has the proper authority to reset runtime errors on the machine. Each employee has an ID badge with a barcode on it. The badge is mainly used for their time card system. We hope that the ID cards can be compared by the SLC also.

Yes it can be done.

You need a bar code scanner that outputs ASCII data through a RS232 type communication. You will have to use the the Channel 1 Port on the processor *** Caution --- do your research or you will lose direct commmunictions to your PLC***, or invest in a basic module which has 2 of these ports.
Then you get to learn about ASCII Reads and String compare instructions. Fun Fun Fun.

Tim

Works well for us..

Hi Intouchx

We use a bar Code Reader with a SLC500, and use an ASCII Basic Module to communicate to and from the PLC and Bar Code reader. It works pretty good. Check the module out. Most bar Code readers can talk serially. If you have a processor with ethernet, some readers can talk over ethernet too. Ive never done it, but will be trying it shortly on one of our readers.

Good Luck,

Andrew Evenson

Speaking of ethernet I wonder if The ethernet AIC adaptor would work with the 5/03 and an Ethernet barcode scanner? An option you could look into. Utilizing a Ethernet switch you could still have a programming portal via ethernet and the option to add several barcode scanners. Hmm

The SLC-5/05 controller can ONLY communicate over Ethernet using A-B proprietary protocols.

It cannot "just open up a socket" or transport ASCII over Ethernet. Unless your barcode reader supports the A-B PCCC protocol or PCCC Encapsulation in EtherNet/IP protocol, you absolutely cannot use it with the SLC-5/05's Ethernet port. I haven't seen any barcode readers that do so, although probably MicroScan's MS880 is the best candidate.

If all you need is one barcode reader inputting to the SLC, go ahead and use the Channel 0 RS232 port in ASCII mode. If you don't want to give up the ability to use Channel 0 to program the SLC, get a Tomantron MUXIPort device.

If you need more than one barcode reader, or need a lot of parsing ability, consider a BASIC or C-programmable coprocessor module.

My favorite way to get barcode data into SLCs is via DeviceNet/ASCII converters like the 1734-ASC2 or WRC's 1782-JDC, but then virtually all of my SLC systems use DeviceNet I/O.