Copying PV+ME HMI Projects

WireGuy1950

I recently had to change laptops, so I re-did an older Dell Latitude D610 (windows XP sp3) with all the programs I normally use. Everything works well (Including RSLogix 500).

My problem is I would like to copy the HMI Projects directory from my old laptop to the new one so I have the projects on the new laptop, but when I try to copy them it gives me a message: Cannot create or replace xxxxx: Access is denied.

I don't want to restore archieved files if I can help it, there always seems to be some sort of problem with that. Is there any way to just directly copy from one machine to the other?

As far as I know, the Application Manager backup and restore is the only correct way to do this. I am afraid to try just copying the directory sturcture(s) since I have so much trouble just keeping mine working adequately as it is.

I have seen similar errors to what you are getting, and have had to shut down and restart the PC to get around them. This has happened when I try to rename an application or make a copy. FactoryTalk thinks the file is open even though it isn't. Be sure not to start any rockwell software after rebooting until you have done the copying.

Also, you might need to shut down Factory Balk Directory Services too.

Let us know if it works...I, too, have had problems backing up and restoring certain applications, especially with 5.00 and 5.10. Seems that shortcuts sometimes get broken (just viewing them seems to fix that problem), and I have had user accounts vanish and tag databases get corrupt too.

Paul

Okay, strange occurrence. Before I was trying to copy on the old laptop (Win 2K) in two explorer windows to the new laptop as a shared drive, no joy.

When I came back from lunch I tried to copy on the new laptop (Win XP) from the old laptop shared drive and that worked. All the files look to be intact.

Now the problem is that the file manager does not see any of the directories I copied over, even after re-booting.

Is there any way to get the file manager to re-index the directory?

Okay, strange occurrence. Before I was trying to copy on the old laptop (Win 2K) in two explorer windows to the new laptop as a shared drive, no joy.

When I came back from lunch I tried to copy on the new laptop (Win XP) from the old laptop shared drive and that worked. All the files look to be intact.

Now the problem is that the file manager does not see any of the directories I copied over, even after re-booting.

Is there any way to get the file manager to re-index the directory?
As Paul suggested the only proven way is to use the Application manager.
If you don't, weird things will happen for sure.
Though, weird things can happen using the App manager, go figure!!

I believe that the application manager edits the windows registry to make entries for each of your applications, but a simple copy does not do that.

I believe that the application manager edits the windows registry to make entries for each of your applications, but a simple copy does not do that.

It actually makes entries in the (by default) hidden directory under %SYSTEMROOT\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data

Under that is a folder for "Rockwell". Under that are the FT Local and Global directories, as well as the RSLinx Enterprise configurations.

You might be able to copy those as well, and get FTStudio to recognize things, but it will still trash application security and such.

The safest bet is, as stated before, use the application manager tool to back up each individually, and the restore them on the new computer. Of course, that still mucks up security, and RSLinxEnterprise configurations, but you can't have everything.