Yamaha Robots opinion needed

Contr_Conn

Hi all,
Just looking for an opinion on small Yamaha robots - pick-and-place type.
Most likely we will be integrating them into some projects and I would like to know your opinion from Controls Eng. standpoint. Anything I should know before we buy them?
Local distributor really pushing them...

Eric, that is why I ask fellow controls guys ;)

Really, we asked for a different product and I was really concerned about this robots.

But when I saw 2 of them working today I was really impressed.
And price is not bad at all.
Just looking for someone who used them.

First off let me say that I haven't worked with robots...yet. Being impressed seeing them do something is one thing. The thing that you need to be concerned about is how easy is it to get them to do what you want them to do. Seeing them at a show or doing something already programmed doesn't really give you an idea of what it is going to take to get them programmed. You can have two robots from different manufacturers doing the exact same thing except robot A takes 2 days to program and robot B takes 2 hours.

If you haven't done it already I would find out what it is going to take to program them, because as a Controls Engineer that is one of your biggest concerns.

I don't like pushy sales guy either, they remind of used car salesman.

Hi I have used some of this type of robot, not Yamaha. Generally with programming Handset, and optional software. Always found things to watch out for :

1: Parameters
2: Memory card required?
3: Restarting features?
4: accessable data?
5: IO on board?
6: Type of interface?
7: Ease of repetitive programming???????????????

I have wasted days on some of these as little to no support available on parameters to use, little information on progamming techniques and please watch out for the "Sub-Routines" features as they can prove troublesome.

be carful

Mylo

These Yamahas are not exact robots, it is mostly pick and place type device.
2 XZ or 3 XYZ linear axis.
All included in one package at reasonable price.
Language is very similar to BASIC.
I just need an opinion from someone who used them before.

Language is very similar to BASIC.

There is the one that would concern me the most...if you don't know how to program in the actual language or have someone who does...be careful. Could be a major learning curve.

If you are looking at typical 2 or 3-axis servo controlled systems, they themselves are probably not too bid of a deal. The controller itself and the language it speaks are the big ones in my book.

Ask your pushy dealer to give you names and numbers of local users of the same equipment. Go visit with the actual guys who operate and program the beasts. Make sure you talk to those guys. They are not likely to pull any punches.

MHO.

Steve

the company i work for uses two different types of yamaha pick and places the yp320 and the ypx 340 they are very easy to program and they will do a great job. the ypx only problem is as it is an older system a crash causes me to reprogram the points int the newer model of the same this is not a problem as they have encoders.
one thing you need to remember is that these are very linear robots the program will sit and wait for a condition to be true before going on . branching is allowed but is limited in some respects. you truely have to think of all possiblities and program them. this usually isn't a problem.
also some of the units that use the dcrh controller needs to have the estop circuit powered before they recieve main power. the drc controller needs to have the estop removed after main power is supplied this has been a pain in the but for our system.

Harry,
Thank you for info.
We are looking for larger style, like SXYx series with longer travel, than YP. But programming and connection is the same.
We are planning to use DRCX controllers, I was told it is the latest version, but have no details.

ok then you will be having a good time the drcx uses an encoder system so the problems from a crash will be lessened.

it is a good system very simple to program and to maintain biggest thing is to keep the cooling vents free of ****.

keep the cooling vents free of ****

On the controller or robot?
Controller will be in the sealed cabinet.
For robot - overal shop it relatively clean - this is a plastic stamping facility - no chips, oil and coolant.