Rufus -vs- Bubba & Alaric. Rufus:1 Bubba & Alaric:0

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
[rant on]
As RSView users are aware there is a limited space for alarm messages and if you use the alarm banner the message display may be truncated. We try and pack as much info in as succinctly as possible.

Here is a situation that happened recently: A "Kidney Loop Filter Clogged" alarm occurred on an offline hydraulic filtration and cooling loop indicating that it is time to change the filter. Rufus the operator acknowledges it and then does nothing to notify anyone about it so that the filter element can be changed. He gets dozens of these alarms during a shift and takes no other action except to acknowledge it. The alarm doesn't keep the machine from running so he won't be bothered with it. Same thing happens on 2nd and 3rd shifts - operators fail to notify Bubba in maintenance. Now Bubba is pretty smart (Rufus not so much)and when it happens to go into alarm when he is around he notices it. When Bubba looks at the alarm log he discovers that operators have been ignoring it for a week. Bubba brings up the topic of operators ignoring alarms in the daily production meeting. Rufus is there. He retorted "Yabbut, we get that alarm all the time. It starts up every few months, then it just goes away after a few days." It doesn't really just go away. Otis works weekends. He is ambitious enough to work an extra job on weekends and he is conscientious about his work - that says something about him. Otis notifies Cletus on weekend maintenance and he changes the filter. Rufus is oblivious to the incrimination his yabbuting just piled on himself. Rufus and co. clearly aren't getting it that the filter element needs to be changed. He sees the alarm as a nuissance that mysteriously comes and goes. One of three managers gets it, the other two side with Rufus. So an order to "fix the nuissance alarm" lands in the engineering IN box and four engineers, Bubba & Cletus's foreman, and one manager have to explain it to the other two managers in a meeting that consumes half the work day and provide documenting evidence from the alarm log and maintenance work orders to show why it really isn't a mysterious alarm that mysteriously goes away.

Ultimately the two managers remain on Rufus's side and rather than address the training, we get tasked with making the alarm message more clear. Which brings us back to the short alarm message banner in RSView and the last time I created a pop up window that was overly pedantic and got told to remove it.

I could make a pop up that said "The kidney loop oil filter is clogged. Submit a Maintenance Work Request to maintenance indicating that the kidney loop filter needs to be changed. Click OK to continue" As this isn't the only alarm where we expect the operators to apply some intelligence and be proactive, and not the only case where Rufus would ignore the alarm, that would be a couple of dozen pop up windows, all along the lines of the one I was told to remove a while back because it was "pedantic and condescending to give detailed instruction on what the operators already know." Ironically, I created that one specifically because one particular alarm was being ignored. Except now it is different, only the same. o_O
[rant off]

I totally know your pain. I used to fight this all the time. If I worked there and had to deal with this, here is what would happen:

First, the alarm couldn't be acknowledged until the filter was replaced. It would take someone to get into the PLC code to reset it. Everyone would throw a fit and tell me I can't do it. I would then say, when you can learn to use the machine properly, I will put it back to the way it was, but until then, no way. Everyone would throw a fit and tell me I can't do it, to where I would reply, I can because I have the expertise and it is a free country.

I had to take similar measures in the past to prevent machine damage as well as personnel injuries. The managers would get bent out of shape, but I'd tell them that when they have the ability to change it that they could.

The plant that I used to work at had a pressure washer on wheels with a 460 plug on it. They had several receptacles around the plant that people would plug them into. Every one of them would drag it around by the cord, which would pull it out of the cord grip and the cable would get damaged. When they would plug it in, it would blow the fuses in the disconnect. After fixing the cable/cord grip a few times, I had maintenance put a handle on it so they could move it around easier. Still, they chose to pull it around by the cord. The next time I had to go out and fix it, I brought bolt cutters with me and cut the cord and went back to my desk.

I got called into a meeting later and they asked why and when I was going to fix it. I said: "I will not fix it. Everyone has demonstrated that they cannot operate the pressure washer safely, so they cannot use it anymore". Everyone was ****ed, but when I showed them the damage to the pressure washer, they got the point. The didn't like my way about it...

Because I'm a field troubleshooter, my usual alarm system headache is when genuine alarms are being blamed on the controllers or the visualization software. I spend a lot of time tuning thresholds and reset logic, only to have it lumped in by management as "fixing RSView" because that's where the alarms are visualized.

Do any Forum members use the ANSI/ISA 18.2 standard for process industry alarm systems as part of their design or maintenance of their alarm systems ?

There was a new edition of the standard published in June 2009, and I've seen a couple of articles in the ISA magazine and a webinar or seminar advertised recently. I'm curious to see if others are using it or plan to, at least within this community.

Could RSView be configured to kick out an email to Bubba when the alarm goes off? That way you are notifying the person that actually needs to know directly. This approach may not be suitable for emergency type alarms, but it sounds like an e-mail would get the word to Bubba faster than Rufus can (or does) in this instance.

Brian

If it doesnt take long to change, then my alarm would stop the line/machine.

Do you have preventative maintenance schedules? the filter check/clean/replace could be added so it doesn't trigger during production time.

just a thought.

Instead of that "pedantic and condescending" popup, how about one that says "Kidney loop oil filter clogged. If the filter element is not changed within 24 hours, the line will be shut down".

That's a winner. Then reminders as the shut down deadline gets closer.

Also using messenger to fire off an e-mail to maintenance is another great idea. I put in a SCADA last year that's mainly being used for monitoring. This year, I'm going to set it up so certain thresholds send out warnings to maintenance and engineering since the operators will just suffer through problems instead of calling for help.

For alarms like that (things that aren't actually process fatal, but will be some time in the future), we (unfortunately) have gone the route of installing annoying sonalerts, that cannot be silenced as long as the condition remains.

One sonalert tucked in the ceiling, being driven by anything that might be just acknowledged normally gets attention, no matter how ignorant the operator.

Very frustrating. I am tired of building alarms, alarm messages, and alarm light stacks that just get ignored. Worst part is the alram tells my operators exatly whats wrong, i.e. "East Machine Stop Tripped" and they stil have to call for someone to figure out why the machine will not work.🙃

I have been working on a new simple solution for this. Requires one plc output, one transmitter and one shock collar. The logic and field wiring seem pretty straight forward but getting the collar on the proper personnel is where I am running into problems.

For alarms like that (things that aren't actually process fatal, but will be some time in the future), we (unfortunately) have gone the route of installing annoying sonalerts, that cannot be silenced as long as the condition remains.

One sonalert tucked in the ceiling, being driven by anything that might be just acknowledged normally gets attention, no matter how ignorant the operator.

I've done the same only to find later the neutral lifted to the alarm...Those operator's are pesky.

I've done the same only to find later the neutral lifted to the alarm...Those operator's are pesky.

Cletus on the weekend shift hooked a sonalert to a temperature alarm on a coolant pump operators frequently forget to turn on. When he came back in the following weekend it had a piece of duct tape over it. So he put in a Federal Signal vibratone buzzer and took the diaphragm damping set screw out. Someone hammered a bolt into it. It would have been easier to just start the pump and the alarm would have shut off than it was to tamper with the alarm in the first place, but you know operators. So Cletus found the loudest most obnoxious horn he could find and mounted it 20' high and fished the wires through the wall. He told everyone he was willing to escalate even more. So far no one has tampered with it since.

Making audibles as annoying as possible is not really my philosophy - but considering that Cletus won that round... o_O