Thermocouple/mv 1746-NT4

mccecim

Hi, I have a PLC with SLC5/04(slot 0), 1746-NT4(slot 1), 1746-IB16(slot 2) and 1746-OW16. So, I need read the temperature all the time and when this one is too high, I set a output channel(alarm). But I dont know about 1746-NT4, I've already read the manual and I'm not sure about the program, I'm using a PT-100 (simple/3 wires). Does anyone have any comments or have a good example how can I do that?
thanks...

Is this a thermocouple that you are using as you temperature probe? if so what type J,K,T,B,R? Sound to me like you are using a RTD probe, is that right? If you are using an RTD probe you will have to use a 1746-nr4 Rtd/resistance card or 1746-NR8

Last edited:
PT-100 is a "RTD" not a thermistor or a thermocouple.
As Adam303 said you need a 1746-NR4 card to accept a RTD.

Is it possible I use a PT-100 transmitter and send a analog data (4-20mA)?
so I can use 1746-NI4(I already have it) to analyze the temperature...

Is it possible I use a PT-100 transmitter and send a analog data (4-20mA)?
so I can use 1746-NI4(I already have it) to analyze the temperature...

There have been several part numbers used in this post.
If the information you quoted above in this post is correct, then yes a PT100 rtd to a transmitter with a 4 - 20 mA into your 1746-NI4 is the correct set up

if you decide to use the 1746-NI4 ...

trying to anticipate one of your next questions ...

when the 1746-NI4 module sees an input signal of 4.0 mA from your field transmitter, it will "report" a data reading of 3277 to the PLC's input table ...

when the 1746-NI4 module sees an input signal of 20.0 mA from your field transmitter, it will "report" a data reading of 16384 to the PLC's input table ...

normally we would then use an SCP instruction in the ladder logic to "scale" the raw input signal into a range of numbers which would be more useful (for example: into degrees C, etc.) ...

ok, thanks for advices and instructions, I have no more doubts about the wires, but how can I do this logic program using the RS Logix 500?
any example?

ok, thanks for advices and instructions, I have no more doubts about the wires, but how can I do this logic program using the RS Logix 500?
any example?

A little more detail would help us help you.
Which card did you decide to get? What slot is it going to be in?
What is the scaling of your analog input(e.g. 100 C to 500 C)?
What is the set point that you want to turn the output on at.

Describe what you want the SLC logic to do.

I have a PLC with SLC5/04(slot 0), 1746-NI4(slot 1), 1746-IB16(slot 2) and 1746-OW16(slot 3).
So, I want read through a transmitter of temperature, connected at PT-100(RTD), using an analog input(1746-NI4) and when this temperature is over 75ºC, for example, I set any output channel of 1746-OW16 (alarm).