Allen-Bradley 5069-IY4 Thermocouple Help

Apollo420mA

I am having an issue getting a IY4 to read my thermocouple correctly. We have a R type and K type hooked up and sitting at a known room temperature of 70 degrees f. We are using the correct CJC terminal block as described in the manual for the card. Our problem is that the feedback we are getting is no where near 70 degrees f. The K type reads about 30 degrees f lower and the R type 50 degrees off. We have checked all of the setting in the card and have verified that the thermocouples do work on an older 1769-IT6. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum! Here is what I would try

Try a different channel on the card

Is the card brand new?

Is the reading always 50 degrees off? Can you put the TC in an ice water cup or hot water cup and see what the readings are at a range of temperatures?

Post a pic of the card settings in the studio 500

Check that the module's Device Definition's Series and Revision match the actual module that is installed. I see that there are 3 possible revisions for a series A module.

Also make sure you've selected the correct thermocouple type in the module properties. Rt-click on the module in the controller organizer and hit "Properties". In the list box on the left side, select the channel you're using and verify all the settings are correct. By default, it's set to 0-20mA.

To check the CJ reading, remove the thermocouple from the input terminals and short the AI input terminals with a jumper or paper clip.

The indicated temperature will be the CJ value, which should the temperature of the input terminals themselves, or as close to that as the CJ sensor is, which is generally the ambient air temperature around the input module.