AB PLC IP addressing

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
Need some generic help or direction, trying to figure out AB SLC IP addressing. We have several PLC that have IP addresses, apparently we have a new IP server that assigns an IP address to our laptop each time we log in. Making a long story short the only way I can get the new laptop to talk to the PLC’s via Ethernet is by changing the IP address manually to match up with our old PLC IP network. Any advice or link to literature would be greatly appreciated.

Being someone who has sytems all over the state with many different IP schemes, I have to do that manually every time I connect to any of my PLCs. As far as the SLC's go, they can be set up to obtain IPs automatically (BOOTP or DHCP) or keep a static IP, which it sounds like is the case.

what model plc? that would be a start.

sounds like you need to get with the IT dept at your work and get them to setup an architecture to assign manual ip addresses to the plc's.

Sounds like the BOOTP is not enabled on the SLC allowing it to get a IP from your new IP Server on power up.

Hello,

One method, which we all use for the WWW, is to use host names. Then the names are looked up to find a matching IP address from the server. The server knows names <-> IP address.

The other method is to disable BootP and DHCP on the PLCs and then the PLC will use the IP address assigned. Of course if it loses the configuration it will default to an IP address that might not be reachable on your network.

The IT department can set fixed addresses for the PLC in the server when the PLC ask the server for an IP address. They might not want to.

It appears your network and PLC are setup to use DHCP. Unless you have BootP running on some computer.

If that is the case, DHCP, then use host names when attempting to connect to the PLC and you should not need to change anything.

I would be wrong. ;)

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

With Windows XP you can have multiple IP addresses. The way I do it is assign myself a static IP that works on the office network. Then hit the advanced button. Add however many OTHER static IP's you need. I typically change the secondary static IP's to suit customer locations but if you are a plant guy it will be a one time thing. Post back if you have questions.

Need some generic help or direction, trying to figure out AB SLC IP addressing. We have several PLC that have IP addresses, apparently we have a new IP server that assigns an IP address to our laptop each time we log in. Making a long story short the only way I can get the new laptop to talk to the PLC’s via Ethernet is by changing the IP address manually to match up with our old PLC IP network. Any advice or link to literature would be greatly appreciated.

I ASSuME that the PC is what is setup using DHCP not he PLC network. I think the easiest way to handle this is to talk to your IT guys I know that usually SUCKS but it may get you somewhere if you explane what and why.
Try the Ethernet IP driver. If your firmware is new enough you can use this driver instead of the Ethernet.