OT: High Emissivity Tape Supplier

kamenges

We have a potential customer who would like us to apply high emissivity Teflon tape to a roll body for use with a non-contact IR thermocouple. In that past, if we had questions about the emissivity of a roll body (stainless steel or chromed shells, for example) we would paint the outside edge and do some imperical testing to set the emissivity correctly. In this case we are not providing the IR sensor.

Does anyone know of a source for high emissivity Teflon tape?

Thanks,
Keith

From what I've read, color has very little to do with it. It's more about molecular composition.

But to directly answer your question I would also think that your run-of-the-mill Teflon tape would do the trick. And that may be what we put on if we can't find anything else. In reality what we are looking for is high temp tape with an emissivity as close to 1 as we can get. Or we just have our customer send us what they are currently using.

Keith

Yes, actually it looks like the Teflon is going to be your problem. It has a very low emissivity in all forms I could find in a quick browse. Do you need Teflon or just high temperature?

We are building the roll to take 150 PSI steam. So, for the purposes of this discussion, assume 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Our customer specifically asked for Teflon but I think any high temp high emissivity tape would work.

Keith